Update KB3200970 disk usage problems

Colin Rivait

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi, this is unfortunately my first post here but nice to meet you all. I recently did a clean install of windows 10 the other day, it worked perfectly fine. But after installing updates disk utilization started to hit 100% with no programs open and even system services accessing the disk and reading under a megabyte total. Response times are embarrassingly long, sometimes it takes over a minute to register actions. After uninstalling updates one by one I noticed the issue occurred after installing update KB3200970, I repeated this several times to make sure this was the issue. I have tried for the past several hours to isolate the specific issue at play, with no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? Thank you in advance.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Welcome to Windows Central! KB 3200970 is the Windows anniversary build (1607). It is the latest build update! I have had some success with a in-place repair. This procedure takes a log time to complete, but you shouldn't lose any thing! It will look like it has stopped several times and may take 2+ hours to complete. Your PC will restart several times. I have done this 3 or 4 times and it has always completed. It will take patience. Here's link! Let me know if it worked!:smile:
How to repair Windows 10 with in-place upgrade. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi This is just MHO. If the in-place repair doesn't solve your problem, I would start checking hardware. Why did you do a clean install? What problems were you having to cause you to do a clean install!:smile:
PS If anyone wants to join this thread and has some suggestions, you would be appreciated! Team work is always a good thing!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I reverted back to windows 7 for a couple months but decided on reinstalling 10 after seeing Forza Horizon 3.
Hi ! So that's the reason you did a clean install?? If you activated W10, You should be able to do a clean install any time you want. That's my interpretation.
Have you considered the in-place repair that I suggested? So your problem is that some thing is using 100% of your disk?? What do you show in Task Manager? Lets not make this difficult! Do you know how to do a clean boot?
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...ndows-10-troubleshoot-software-conflicts.html

Attachments

• Capture26.JPG
    Capture26.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 3

Colin Rivait

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Already tried a clean boot like you suggested, to no effect. Task manger says the disk is at 100% utilization with no applications running, and no background task actually accessing the disk; 100% utilization but nothing is reading or writing to it on an idle desktop

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi How about a chkdsk? Maybe a sfc /scannow-Dism. I running out of suggestions! Do you have malware? Can you attach a screen shot of your task manager?
Have you tried the in-place repair? Whats using 100% of your disk??

Colin Rivait

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I would send pictures but edge is being uncooperative right now, task manager says Disk 100% with every cell underneath saying 0.0mb/s and under the performance section the disk says Active time 100% Read speed 0.0kb/s Write speed 0.0kb/s

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi You have problem! I would be checking your hard drive for bad sectors! A in-place repair or a reset ??
Maybe another clean install of Windows! I'm really out of suggestions!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 2

Colin Rivait

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I have tried multiple clean installs, clean boots, in place repairs, etc. None have worked. After looking through the event logs I believe I have identified the problem. In the warning section there is a continuous stream of
(event 129) storahci
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued
Followed by
(event 153) disk
The IO operation at logical block address <addresshere> for Disk 1 (PDO name:\Device\00000032) was retired
This repeats indefinitely

Colin Rivait

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
After changing from the default ahci driver to the Intel rapid storage driver the problem was fixed, thanks for the attempted help! I would have headed back to windows 7 if you didn't keep pushing me. Thanks.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Yea! Good for you! I'm glad you solved your issue. I have not heard of this before. I'm sure other members will profit from your experience. Thanks for sharing.
Maybe you could share what all you did in more detail? It's above my pay grade!:smile:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
The default sata driver for windows caused my ssd to have issues but installing the Intel Rapid Storage driver fixed the issue
Thanks for your reply friend. May I ask if my link (post#15) is valid. I spend a lot of time helping here on MC and I enjoy it. When members respond with what they did to solve their problem, I make a note of that and use it to help in the future.:wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
too, the same problem after updating to KB3200970 .
and i try almost anything but nothing work !!!!!!!
Hi what do you mean you have the same problem? Nothing work! KB 3200970 is the W10 anniversary build. You really need to start your own thread!
Here's the Anniversary .exe file. If you need more help, please start your own help thread and someone will help you!:wink:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=821403

KAL177

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem, after i installing updates KB3200970 my disk usage showing 100% on Task Manager and when i uninstall updates (KB3200970) my laptop back to normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo