Unable to use a PIN on sign-in

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
So as of a few days ago when signing in on my Windows 10 laptop, I was told I incorrectly typed in the wrong PIN multiple times and would have to sign in using my password. I was sure I used the right PIN, but didn't pay any mind to it at the time.

A day rolls around and I'm still barred from logging in using my PIN. It is at this point that I decide to go into my sign-in options, disable the PIN, and recreate the PIN. I was able to disable the PIN, but everytime I tried to set up a new PIN the system didn't respond.

I had factory reset my laptop (this had nothing to do with the PIN, I was planning on doing so anyway), and once again was asked if I would like to use a PIN to sign-in. I agreed and attempted to set up the PIN, it was at this point that I received a message saying roughly, "something went wrong, you can attempt to retry or try to set up the PIN later."

My question is, is this a Microsoft-wide issue or am I screwed out of using PINs on my account now?

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I only followed some of the suggestions, since many of them involve downloading applications I don't recognize which seems shady. Changing my account password hasn't worked. I may try the local account fix but I have my doubts about that as well.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I only followed some of the suggestions, since many of them involve downloading applications I don't recognize which seems shady. Changing my account password hasn't worked. I may try the local account fix but I have my doubts about that as well.
I have never had your issue. I suppose you could try going into Advanced Startup and try the repair option. If it's really a problem for you, there's always a refresh- reset or a in place repair. Good luck!
You might give this a try. This is taken from the link and sounds real promising to me!

Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC.
In NGC folder delete all the files. To do so you must be logged as Administrator.
Now go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options.
Click Add a PIN and add a new PIN code for your account.

Now the PIN login should be working again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa