Tips for new Windows 10 users

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thought it might be fun to start up a tips thread for users that are new to Windows 10. Drop in your best tips (I'm thinking entry-level tips to help get users going) here, I want to provide as much help and advice as possible to get newbies off to a solid start!! :)

tonytranupg

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I've encountered a problem before, and I want to share with you. The issue is that when I create a new local account in Windows 10, it's unable to access because of corrupted profile files.

The tip to resolve it is to copy the Users/Default folder from other Windows 10 PC that works and then overwrite to the Default folder on your computer. After that, create a new account and then it works.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
On the PC or Mobile version; if you decide to join the Insider club, don't select the Fast or Slow option. Select the one for "?"; sorry brain fart. The non Fast or slow one. LOL

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
One tip I would like to add for new users is that most of the options in a windows system can be accessed by right clicking on the start menu. So if you need to go to the control panel, settings menu or device manager, all can be found in that right click menu.
Or searching for them in the start menu would also work..:)

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Here's a YUGE tip for all of you people new to Windows 10.

Alt+Ctrl+Del is your saviour.

When in doubt, Alt+Ctrl+Del.

When you're frozen solid (freeze), Alt+Ctrl+Del.

When everything is not going well, Alt+Ctrl+Del.

All hail Alt+Ctrl+Del. Saviour since the advent of Windows.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I always learnt it as Ctrl-Alt-Del, not the other way, although this is probably based on what key appears first on the keyboard, so it's Ctrl, Alt then Del, going from right to left across a keyboard.. Although tt might be a British thing too. I agree though, it can save you from many sticky Windows situations, when it decides to crash or freeze.

tonytranupg

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site

If you just want to launch Task Manager, Ctrl + Shift + Esc would be better.

Trevor Davis3

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
If you are going to use a Microsoft Account I highly suggest creating a Local Administrative account. From an Admin Command Prompt type "net user username password /add" <Enter> than make it an Administrator with "net localgroup administrators username /add"
This way when if you get locked out of your Microsoft Account because of a bad update or what I suspect may be malware you will have the local account to be able to get into your system.
I read now a number of accounts of this happening to people who undoubtedly had to do clean install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3