Will 'W10 S' users downgrade their OS?

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
... If so, then on which OS will it downgrade( W8.1, w7 or other edition of w10) ?

Last edited:

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
You won't be able to downgrade the OS.

Microsoft might not make it easy, BUT I doubt it will be impossible. It was difficult for us to downgrade our Win10 PCs to Win 7, BUT it was necessary and we got it done. ;) SO you never know. But yes generally Microsoft does not like you to downgrade.

However I'm interested in this question too! :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only switches I see being made are to standard Windows 10 or Linux.

Microsoft isn't supporting older versions of Windows on newer processor generations and that means starting with Kaby Lake, no security updates. (I believe Skylake was the last to be fully compatible with 7 and 8.1, although it seems to be more a Microsoft-imposed limitation than technical.)

StevenMcDolly

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I think the main purpose of this (new OS) is getting more users to approach the Windows 10 so I don't think you can go back to the previous OS version.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't think downgrade is the right word here, given its supposed to be faster. MS has said windows s is free to students on home. There will probably be a path.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

THAT is a smart play. With over twice the number of users still on 7 especially, over time, it would be massive to get everyone over to windows 10, just on desktop alone that would get us close to the 1 billion. That+console+more tablet share. I wonder was Nadella a war strategist in a past life, lol?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
THAT is a smart play. With over twice the number of users still on 7 especially, over time, it would be massive to get everyone over to windows 10, just on desktop alone that would get us close to the 1 billion. That+console+more tablet share. I wonder was Nadella a war strategist in a past life, lol?

Honestly it just sounds like a typical business decision. Less money spent on older OSes and it's promoting Windows 10 so...

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
It's a practical choice. Why spend money to develop support for new chips on outdated operating systems? Let's face it - there's work to be done to support these new chips. That's not free. Why spend money to compete with your long-term strategy of migrating everyone to Windows 10? The sooner everyone is on the same OS the easier it will be to manage patches and updates and the fewer problems will arise. It will dramatically reduce the level of complexity involved in responding to threats or developing features.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You won't be able to downgrade the OS.

If it's like said, it's Windows 10 Home with code in it that blocks Win32 apps from being installed. There would be no problem formatting the hard drive and booting up with a Windows 7 or 8.1 USB/DVD to install it.

Odds are you would have to buy 7 or 8 tho.

If my only option was WIndows 10 S...with Pro/home no more, I would no question go back to 7 or 8.1 (with a start menu 3rd party app)

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
If it's like said, it's Windows 10 Home with code in it that blocks Win32 apps from being installed. There would be no problem formatting the hard drive and booting up with a Windows 7 or 8.1 USB/DVD to install it.

Odds are you would have to buy 7 or 8 tho.

If my only option was WIndows 10 S...with Pro/home no more, I would no question go back to 7 or 8.1 (with a start menu 3rd party app)

No, it is fully functional Windows 10 Pro, free until the end of the year. Install anything you want.
There would be problems with a downgraded OS, Read the link.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
But the OEM's PC won't be on Kaby Lake processor but you will have limited resources. The OEM's machines with Windows 10 S will be priced to compete with the chromebooks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion