Microsoft owes us that have stuck with them since Windows Phone 7 and even beyond!!!

Talal Alshaghdali

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I was almost the same as you. I was/somehow still addicted to MS, and I fought for MS since WM5 or 6 with i-mate PDA device. For the ecosystem, they have announced for W10 ... Etc.I bought 950 and Surface 3 LTE, then I planned to buy Band 3.
Anyway, on of the articles in here I suggested same as your idea about Samsung Note 7. Is that a big thing for less 1% fan to pay them back its faults and thank them for their patience!!

Douglas H

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Like most of you on this site I have become frustrated with MS. I have been a part of their ecosystem since Windows Mobile 5.0 on the HTC Dash. Just when I was about to jump to Android, MS rolled out WP7. I stuck with them. Then after the WP7 upgrades (7.5 & 7.8) all through to 8 & 8.1, which meant more new hardware. I stuck with them. Then there was another shift to WM10. I stuck with them. MS was in a good place. The Surface brand, Windows 10, Xbox and Hololens had made MS an exciting and cool company once again! During this time I would convince anyone who would listen to get a Windows product (especially phone), but now that is not the case. And it has been that way for at least almost two years.

I am in it pretty deep! Everything is Windows - SP4 that is less than a year old, but freezes randomly, DV8P still chugging along, Lenovo Idea PC Stick (RIP), Band 2 - nuff said, Lumia 925 w/ 8.1, Lumia 640 w/ WM10 IP, and Idol 4S IP. Lately, I have been looking at my options meaning which Android hardware am I going with. I am still fighting Apple although everyone in my family has an iPhone.

It seems, at times, the writers on this site struggle with content compared to a couple of years ago. So many similar articles about best PCs or the surface phone keeps popping up. I cannot recall being super excited about an article in a while. Not 100% writers fault, MS just has not been exciting lately.

Jumping off my soap box now and getting back to the subject at hand. There are many of us who have been in this deep for as long/longer than I have. If there is a Surface Mobile device somewhere on the horizon, then MS should do what Samsung did for the Note 7 owners - hand out heavy discounts to those who stuck with them since WP7 and prior! Is that too much to ask?

Yeah, well, I feel a bit silly about the whole thing really. Why an emotional investment in ANYONE's ecosystem? They are all multi-billion dollar companies with global reach and their own areas of dominance...why should I care? It is stupid but here I am. I've even started buying up old Lumia's as they are mostly on Amazon at fire sale prices. I think I have about 15 phones on w8.1 and 10. I've considered having them mounted in a nice frame--the devices are quite attractive and I love the colors.

Competition is good and if the market becomes two ecosystems plus a small number of hardware vendors we will all lose in the long run. Having said that, I will use my Elite x3 or my 950xl for another 12-18 months. If something new comes, great. If not, well...I guess we move on.

MS could look at their user accounts and at least drop a nice email of thanks to the enthusiasts/evangelists that are still out here. Do they owe me something...sort of, but an email would do.

I started using windows phone because it was different--I keep using it because I am different. (Yes Microsoft--you can use that one royalty-free)

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there would be any harm in Microsoft offering some sort of goodwill gesture to W10M users when the fabled "Surface Phone" or whatever they come up with finally arrives.

Microsoft have offered deep, generous discounts to Apple users to trade in their Macbooks for Surface devices.

Why wouldn't they offer W10M users a discount to adopt the next version of mobile hardware?

Lych

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Like most of you on this site I have become frustrated with MS. I have been a part of their ecosystem since Windows Mobile 5.0 on the HTC Dash. Just when I was about to jump to Android, MS rolled out WP7. I stuck with them. Then after the WP7 upgrades (7.5 & 7.8) all through to 8 & 8.1, which meant more new hardware. I stuck with them. Then there was another shift to WM10. I stuck with them. MS was in a good place. The Surface brand, Windows 10, Xbox and Hololens had made MS an exciting and cool company once again! During this time I would convince anyone who would listen to get a Windows product (especially phone), but now that is not the case. And it has been that way for at least almost two years.

I am in it pretty deep! Everything is Windows - SP4 that is less than a year old, but freezes randomly, DV8P still chugging along, Lenovo Idea PC Stick (RIP), Band 2 - nuff said, Lumia 925 w/ 8.1, Lumia 640 w/ WM10 IP, and Idol 4S IP. Lately, I have been looking at my options meaning which Android hardware am I going with. I am still fighting Apple although everyone in my family has an iPhone.

It seems, at times, the writers on this site struggle with content compared to a couple of years ago. So many similar articles about best PCs or the surface phone keeps popping up. I cannot recall being super excited about an article in a while. Not 100% writers fault, MS just has not been exciting lately.

Jumping off my soap box now and getting back to the subject at hand. There are many of us who have been in this deep for as long/longer than I have. If there is a Surface Mobile device somewhere on the horizon, then MS should do what Samsung did for the Note 7 owners - hand out heavy discounts to those who stuck with them since WP7 and prior! Is that too much to ask?

If I feel they "owe me something", that would be a decent lumia device that I can actually buy? Their store does no shipping here, the Alcatel is not available. Some vendors have HP imports that have such a hefty price tag you could get any current flagship for that price and that's just the base phone, and not the version with the dock and that laptop thingy that they made. It's just ridiculous.

So yea, how about making a solid phone that we can actually order, huh MS? Make them built-to order if you don't want to deal with inventory or something. Just put a device out there. If there is anything you "owe me" for sticking with the ecosystem, it's this.

Plus it's kind of hard to stick to the ecosystem if you're eroding parts of it yourself.

WilsonBlaze

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah they owe the loyal fanbase something. Those are customers that will now be lost on the account of being duped and apathy of the forces behind the product.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
All windows phone devices hardwarewise have been great in my experience since windows mobile 6.5.x. My current sentiment is that some kind of compensation would be appreciated for sticking around and upgrading. I am very happy to experience that the windows 10 mobile devices were finally uogradable compared to the fiasco of the earlier windows phone versions. Bit I think they could have done better to incentivise more developers to develop apps for the windows store too. I'm most disappointed about a lack of fit and finish of windows 10 mobile. Some things I was still expecting within the lifetime of my windows 10 mobile devices. (Lumia 1520 and 950xl):
1. Continuum multitasking with at least two open apps.
2. Be able fo snap two apps side by side (much like in tablet mode in windows 10)
3. Landscape support for the start menu.
4. More live tile sizes
5. Some kind of autoconversion help for developers to convert mobile uwo apps to be usable in continuum

I think a dressing these issues now would have helped make this phone more productive as a phone and first pc in one. From the start it felt too much as a an alpha version, despite marketing. Microsoft was almost there and in my view they were almost finished. If they pushed through I'm convinced we would have a different perspective on the value of windows 10 mobile and its future.

For me as a user of windows 10 mobile as my daily driver and an insider I would be happy to be compensated for a free 2 year subscription for office 365 mobile apps, a 25 euro windows store gift card and one year free groove subscription for one of my Microsoft accounts. I don't need a free hardware device because I think that is a personal choice. For me the compensation in software is more relevant as this is the issue.

Julian Barker

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
About a month or 2 ago I stopped my daily addiction to the Windows mobile RSS feeds. I found that they only invited an anger in me as I joined the echo chamber of disappointment and anger following the heavily invested fans feeling let down. Now I am pretty much ambivalent to Microsoft / Windows (with sadness rearing it's ugly head again) just like Microsoft employees.

I actually came online to ask the question of a Windows news site how they plan to dissolve themselves from existance. Over the last couple of months it is apparent that Microsoft won't be in the OS business at all for much longer and i include desktop in that as well. I would suggest 5 years tops. And they will have fully moved over to an office, cloud and patent company. Windows will finally be closed up with a whimper and sites like this will have transitioned to... ?

Do I feel Microsoft owes me anything? No, I don't think so, I have had repeated top quality handsets and tablets running bomb proof software at budget prices because of the lack of market traction. I still use my l925 as an audio server, I still use my l2520 as light media news tablet, I still use my sp4 as a desktop and drawing tablet and I'm writing this on my l950. My next phone will be an Android one though as will, i am sure, the one after that. Around this time it will connect to a screen to become a desktop at which point the Windows OS sega can finally sleep.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Agreed that maybe the word "Owed" isn't maybe the right one, but they maybe do owe us something. As others have said they do owe us commitment.

If a "Surface phone" or small PC with telephony ever materialises then at least a trade in for at least any of the more recent Windows phones (They would need a sensible cut off).

I really don't care if my next mobile device is a Windows/Surface phone or a small PC running full blown Windows, but I do care that my current mobile number is running on something that runs some version of Windows and I can answer the call on any of my devices.

As said so many times, if I have to jump ship on the mobile then I may as well jump ship on the lot as I like integration of devices above all.

I wonder if Apple would bring out an iBox?

rhaluska

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Owed nothing but.... What MS could do is to offer credit for the folks who kept using a windowsmobile phone. These folks are problably part of the Windows insiders and are still helping MS.

As everyone has said, the Windows 10 mobile is awesome, users would want to have the interface and Windows a device that is mobile.

Most of us Windows Insiders would love to test out the device when and if this device gets closer to being announced..

Jeremy Cush

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
The problem is not all microsoft , remember when the ipad came out it was pushed on schools and the fools bought in to it a few years later the apple lag on older ipads make them useless , schools cant afford to replace these things every year and now have sluggish tablets with no help from apple , not even a way to return the ipad to a firmware where the ipad was fast , least on android you can go back and reflash a good rom that worked , windows phone lost the battle not because of bad phones but the lack of google apps , and the promise of being able to run android apps on the phone , will i get a new windows phone after my 950xl the answer is no , i now use all 3 platforms ios for stable use , android for being able to download a tv show or music and play it on a stock app ( something apple will never allow , only a pc is needed to transfer the movie to the phones vlc app to view ) and my lumia 950 xl for using it to play tv on it as region detection does not seem to be a problem

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
MSFT needed to sh*t or get off the pot a looong time ago, but obviously that wasn't within their realm of thinking. There was too much indecisiveness too that many didn't know whether they were coming or going, but then they'd throw in a promise or two every now and then, which they couldn't keep. Not so sure MSFT themselves knew where they were headed or doing.

Can honestly say that after their mobile fiascos and all the other ups and downs since 2012, I have little respect for the company as a whole. The gurus of the software industry failed miserably in my opinion, reminded of this daily.

Do they owe me anything? Well I look at it this way. MSFT failed to provide me with the basic essentials of a smartphone, web browsing being one of them. If the browser is incapable of accessing a site due to "OS and/or browser is not supported" then those basic essentials haven’t been met. So yes, give me a REAL smartphone MSFT, PLEEEEEEASE LOL.

Run into similar fates as above using Edge for PC, thankfully we have the likes of IE and Firefox to complete the task. On mobile haven't been so lucky, not found one browser (tried oh so many) that did not exhibit same issue.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If there is a Surface Mobile device somewhere on the horizon, then MS should do what Samsung did for the Note 7 owners - hand out heavy discounts to those who stuck with them since WP7 and prior! Is that too much to ask?

Discounts for what?
Microsoft runs deals all the time on relevant devices and software or services.
I believe Microsoft is the biggest loser of all yet could care less with it's buckets and buckets seemingly infinite cash resources.

When it comes to technology it is very difficult to choose wisely.

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
No, Microsoft doesn't owe us anything. They just have a hill to climb in convincing us that next time they won't drop all support for their next revolutional device the moment they have managed to create the next iteration. I'm speaking OS and ecosystem wise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes