10-14-2017 09:38 AM
46 12
tools
    the guy is right... windows10 as plenty of bugs... touchscreen/keyboard related.. and now with the latest update..my designer mouse stopped functioning (had to reinstall windows)
    now no more printer drivers for hp envy4500
    its a complete joke...
    and latest bug: iphone not recognized.
    im about to go Apple all the way...
    Elky64 likes this.
    10-09-2017 06:33 PM
    Yeah...this sounds like it's a diver issue or a hardware issue...not an OS issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Windows Central mobile app
    PEBACK Drivers are faulty? Seriously though OP, what country are you in? Is it one that is known for counterfeit hardware and chips? Not sure about the FreeDOS by default as a reference point either... as that is built as an emulator, their website doesn't recommend using it is a core for someone wanting what you are doing.
    What model ASUS is it supposed to be? Going back to Ubuntu or something Linux easy would be recommended if you can override the UEFI from the current state and know how. From what I gathered I would make two guesses, without full data:
    1) You don't have an authentic ASUS machine and hardware (or it has a hardware fault)

2) Your Windows 10 install is not genuine, thus it cannot resolve Driver issues with the Microsoft Software databases.
    10-10-2017 03:24 AM
    My 8 year old Gateway laptop works better now with W10 than the day I bought it was W7. Sorry about your bad luck.
    10-10-2017 07:54 AM
    PEBACK Drivers are faulty? Seriously though OP, what country are you in? Is it one that is known for counterfeit hardware and chips? Not sure about the FreeDOS by default as a reference point either... as that is built as an emulator, their website doesn't recommend using it is a core for someone wanting what you are doing.
    What model ASUS is it supposed to be? Going back to Ubuntu or something Linux easy would be recommended if you can override the UEFI from the current state and know how. From what I gathered I would make two guesses, without full data:
    1) You don't have an authentic ASUS machine and hardware (or it has a hardware fault)

2) Your Windows 10 install is not genuine, thus it cannot resolve Driver issues with the Microsoft Software databases.
    PEBACK?

PerfectReign likes this.
    10-10-2017 08:19 AM
    the guy is right... windows10 as plenty of bugs... touchscreen/keyboard related.. and now with the latest update..my designer mouse stopped functioning (had to reinstall windows)
    its a complete joke...
    Sorry to hear. All 4 of my devices with Win 10 work fine. No bugs whatsoever

10-10-2017 08:21 AM
    PEBACK?

https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=PEBACK
    bunky1971 likes this.
    10-11-2017 03:03 AM
    PEBACK?

https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=PEBACK
    Bad joke...
    10-11-2017 03:03 AM
    I wanna like this a thousand times x2
    1000 for pebcak and 1000 more for ddg!

Also one of my work PC's is a HP 3600t running vista 32bit with 0.0 issues new from 2007/8 and still performs like a champ. I goto that machine more
    10-11-2017 06:33 PM
    I have a iso of vista business still on hand, and might take you up on that challenge.
    Service Pack 2 makes Vista quite nice. I always liked the colors on Vista over 7.
    10-11-2017 06:42 PM
    its a complete joke...
    Yup, from my seat it is becoming a real joke - past few weeks, three computers 4 updates (Creators x3/cumulative x1), fail, fail, fail aaaaand fail. The latest one to be inflicted (cumulative) only took me 30 min to sort out but c'mon, this is getting ridiculous.
    Last edited by Elky64; 10-11-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    10-11-2017 08:27 PM
    I don't get all these failed updates. I have (among other antiques) a Motion Computing LE1700 that shipped with XP. It's got a lowly Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. It's currently on 16299 and everything works. Not most things, everything. All the buttons, Infrared, Fingerprint Scanner, display rotation, you name it, it works. I had to download the Windows Journal stand-alone app to make sure it was 100% but that's another matter.

I did a clean install instead of an upgrade. Motion Computing's support page has every download available (Buttons, Motion Dashboard for activating Bluetooth and the Ricoh multi-media card reader were all I needed) and I didn't even have to run any of the progs in Compatibility Mode.
    10-11-2017 08:50 PM
    I don't get all these failed updates. I have (among other antiques) a Motion Computing LE1700 that shipped with XP. It's got a lowly Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. It's currently on 16299 and everything works. Not most things, everything. All the buttons, Infrared, Fingerprint Scanner, display rotation, you name it, it works. I had to download the Windows Journal stand-alone app to make sure it was 100% but that's another matter.

I did a clean install instead of an upgrade. Motion Computing's support page has every download available (Buttons, Motion Dashboard for activating Bluetooth and the Ricoh multi-media card reader were all I needed) and I didn't even have to run any of the progs in Compatibility Mode.
    I'd like to know that too, believe me I would. In all my years toying with PC's haven't seen it this bad, batting a perfect 100% as of late on the "fail" scale. Still have a few more computers waiting in the wings (haven't updated them in a while) and just cringe at the thought of doing so.

All my machines have had clean installs as well, more than once I might add due to an update at some point borking something. The first few months after Windows 10's inception was a nightmare for me, the middle was just OK, now it seems we're back in the nightmare stage again.

Also have an old Toshiba laptop, same era/specs as your Motion, yup works pretty decently but then we've eluded the Creators Update up until this point.

Both my computers at work are running Windows 7 mainly because I can't afford to have an update screw them up. Already played that game on an Asus desktop (core i5/8GB) and Windows 10, said "no more".

So my gripe isn't using Windows 10, it's these updates that continually (for me) inflict pain and the cat and mouse game that ensues afterwords trying to find a pain medication that works.
    10-11-2017 09:55 PM
    FWIW even my secretary will use the term PEBCAK when explaining some trouble calls.

I liked Vista and it ran well when compares to the stinking pile of manure that ExPee was in terms of a downgrade from Win2K.
    10-11-2017 10:52 PM
    I may get hate mail for this but I thought 98SE and ME ran better than XP. Every time MS releases a vastly different version than the previous one there's always backlash. Vista was better than XP by all accounts just as 10 is superior to 7.
    10-12-2017 07:29 AM
    Understand the frustration with some of the issues,my Surface Pro is fine on standard and even release preview rings. Get into slow and fast though and the issues are to be expected. PEBCAK is old school IT lingo,glad it might be making a comeback.
    10-12-2017 05:22 PM
    I may get hate mail for this but I thought 98SE and ME ran better than XP. Every time MS releases a vastly different version than the previous one there's always backlash. Vista was better than XP by all accounts just as 10 is superior to 7.
    Can't compare the versions like that.

Remember, 98 and ME were windows shells running on top of DOS like 3.x and 95 before them. Windows 10 traces its lineage back through 8.x, 7, Vista, XP, Win2k, NT 4, 3.51, 3.1, and OS/2 1.3. (Yes, you could still run native OS/2 command line apps in XP.)

Win 10 is much improved. Is it perfect? No. But it works.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-12-2017 11:59 PM
    Can't compare the versions like that.

Remember, 98 and ME were windows shells running on top of DOS like 3.x and 95 before them. Windows 10 traces its lineage back through 8.x, 7, Vista, XP, Win2k, NT 4, 3.51, 3.1, and OS/2 1.3. (Yes, you could still run native OS/2 command line apps in XP.)

Win 10 is much improved. Is it perfect? No. But it works.
    Though you may be correct, unfortunately perception is what rules in the marketplace. I'm sure you'll agree from a technical standpoint that Windows 8 was significantly better than 7, but remember the public reaction to losing the Start button? I personally feel that 8.1 was the best iteration of Windows on desktop and mobile. They weren't perfect (to steal your line), but they worked very well.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-13-2017 07:45 AM
    I'm sure you'll agree from a technical standpoint that Windows 8 was significantly better than 7, but remember the public reaction to losing the Start button?
    I never could figure that out but then I started pre Start Button.

I do recall getting Windows 95 and running a test with three new identical PS/2 computers running a batch file with the same functions - compile our DataFlex application, scan the hard drive, and format a floppy.

One ran Win95, one NT 3.51, and the third, OS/2 Warp. The OS2 device came in first followed by the NT device and way behind was the Win95 machine.
    10-13-2017 01:50 PM
    I never could figure that out but then I started pre Start Button.

I do recall getting Windows 95 and running a test with three new identical PS/2 computers running a batch file with the same functions - compile our DataFlex application, scan the hard drive, and format a floppy.

One ran Win95, one NT 3.51, and the third, OS/2 Warp. The OS2 device came in first followed by the NT device and way behind was the Win95 machine.
    It's nice to have but I could definitely live without it. I really enjoyed Metro with the charms a gazillion times more than the start button. The way I see it, the button is useful only when using mouse and keyboard. It's fairly useless on touch or tablet mode. In fact, the whole desktop is useless on touch unless you have some really small and pointy fingers. Neither of which I have.
    PerfectReign likes this.
    10-13-2017 06:34 PM
    It's nice to have but I could definitely live without it. I really enjoyed Metro with the charms a gazillion times more than the start button. The way I see it, the button is useful only when using mouse and keyboard. It's fairly useless on touch or tablet mode. In fact, the whole desktop is useless on touch unless you have some really small and pointy fingers. Neither of which I have.
    Try a pencil sharpener.
    10-14-2017 06:57 AM
    Yeah...this sounds like it's a diver issue or a hardware issue...not an OS issue.

Add to that, the OP doesn't know what he's talking about, issue
    fatclue_98 and Guytronic like this.
    10-14-2017 09:38 AM
46 12