Now that WM has been discontinued...What's next?

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
What I suspect is coming next.... (bear with me this might be a bit long)

I'm going to engage in some speculation here but what do we know....

1. MS is rewriting the Windows OS to run on many form factors (Andromeda)
2. MS is also working to have Windows run on ARM
3. The role of the Surface Brand is NOT to make money but to make hero devices that show what's possible.
4. Panos Panay is fond of saying that Surface's role is to "create new categories"
5. Satya Nadella has more than once made reference to an upcoming "ultimate mobile device" (note he did NOT say "phone")
6. No software company can survive long term without a mobile strategy.

With all of the above it was clear that Windows Mobile was a dead OS walking. I would say the fact that they are now publicly saying so is a potential indicator that Andromeda is almost ready for showtime. It couldn't get the apps/developers/numbers. I think it's a kick__ OS but economics are reality.

But....

If you have Andromeda, you don't need a separate Mobile OS. So why waste time on it.

If you have a PC that's running Windows 10 on ARM and is connected to the LTE cell network, how difficult is it to add phone capabilities to it?

Surface didn't get traction until it was positioned as the "laptop that can replace your tablet". It's main selling point is that you can use real software on it and not Apps. Remember all the people who sneered at the idea of a 2 in 1?

I think what we are going to see is more "Pocket PC" than Surface Phone. Once again a 2 in 1 type of device but on a different scale. Something with a small form factor, that can run Windows, can be linked to bigger displays via Continuum which connects to the LTE network and (BTW) can also function as a phone. The computer than can replace your phone. A small enough device that people will leave their phones at home.

I suspect when this happens you will see similar devices released by OEM partners much like how they did with AR/VR. If they can do that then all of a sudden the IOS/Android duopoly looks vulnerable.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Yeah but the Windows Phone users are all losing their collective s#*t over the news about the "demise" of Mobile.... anyone who is paying attention would realise that it doesn't mean the end of Windows on a mobile platform.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
But if isn't a phone what is it then? I'm not going to carry a tablet with phone capabilities around with me. A convenient form factor has to be part of the equation. Form factor is why cell phones caught on the way they have. Early models were huge and clunky and lived in your car. Now everyone is carrying one around. I just don't see many people opting to drag a tablet around with them all day.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
But if isn't a phone what is it then? I'm not going to carry a tablet with phone capabilities around with me. A convenient form factor has to be part of the equation. Form factor is why cell phones caught on the way they have. Early models were huge and clunky and lived in your car. Now everyone is carrying one around. I just don't see many people opting to drag a tablet around with them all day.

Exactly.
For some enterprise applications it will be fine but I can’t see the average consumer going for it.
I doubt it’s their intent to capture the consumer market anyway.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't matter what Microsoft writes, any critical thinking will tell you Windows is best used in a desktop scenario, anything smaller is basically a tablet or phone and in both of those usage scenarios Windows is much less effective and doesn't offer anything current phones and tablets don't already offer.

Sent from mTalk

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

Phones are getting bigger, and computers are getting thinner. A 5-6" full-powered device is totally possible. It doesn't need to be bigger than the Elite x3 to have more powerful hardware.
A foldable device makes even more sense, if they can do it elegantly. Big screen when you need it, folds in half to fit in your pocket.

Annnnnd a new mobile device will not automatically solve the dreaded app gap.

If performance with their Win32 on ARM tech is good, you could run any DOS, Windows, Linux, or Android app.

Doesn't matter what Microsoft writes, any critical thinking will tell you Windows is best used in a desktop scenario, anything smaller is basically a tablet or phone and in both of those usage scenarios Windows is much less effective and doesn't offer anything current phones and tablets don't already offer.

Simple solution, make Windows effective on those devices.
They got Xbox UI to make it work on large screens, Windows desktop for PCs, HoloShell for MR/VR headsets, Tablet Mode for tablets. Phone mode for phones?

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
The ability to run Win32 apps on a phone is not a solution, because Win32 apps are designed for large displays and mouse navigation (with tiny buttons and scroll bars that aren't touch-friendly). Touch-friendly apps need to be built from scratch to be touch-friendly. Win32 apps are also not power-optimized, because there is no reason for them to be. Power usage is a big consideration with the way mobile apps work.

Surface is a success because it is designed to be used as a touch-screen-capable LAPTOP most of the time - which is why they come with a keyboard/touchpad - and used as a standalone tablet only rarely, and mostly only for content consumption. Without the hardware keyboard/touchpad, few would be interested in it.

But no one wants to carry a keyboard/touchpad for their phone. Phones need a dedicated, touch-focused OS that runs touch-optimized apps.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The ability to run Win32 apps on a phone is not a solution
Android apps can run on Win32. I believe Chrome on Windows can run Android apps (or they were working on it?)

Now this solution is more dependent on Google than Microsoft, but I could totally see them working together, it IS a win for both of them. Google gets the customers in their store, and Microsoft keeps people on Windows. Especially when you consider Microsoft now has a reputation for making high-quality Android apps.
Now that's a pretty big step, and it's not exactly likely, but would be excellent for everyone, if it did become an official solution.

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Google will not license access to Google Play for mobile use unless that device runs EXCLUSIVELY Android - which is why you don't see official access on other platforms.

And if you think people are going to stay on WinPhone to emulate Android to run Android apps less-well than an Android device, you're crazy. LOL.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, we already know for certain that Android apps can run on Windows devices. That much is guaranteed.

However, it's not an official solution, and requires installing Chrome (it doesn't work out-of-the-box), so Microsoft couldn't really advertise it as a feature.
At the same time, Google wants desktop users to use Android apps. They have the mobile market, but they want in on the desktop market. That's the whole reason Chrome OS exists. And why they're bring Android apps to Chrome.
If Microsoft DID ask, do you really think Google would say no to their storefront being on every single new PC? This is just my own speculation, but it DOES make sense.

People aren't "staying on Windows phone", they're staying on Windows desktop. Can any Android phones run Windows apps? Clearly, Windows apps are still popular, otherwise PC sales would be way lower than phone sales. Is a device that runs both classes of app not feasible?

No one's catering to Windows phone fans anymore - the whole idea of Andromeda/one OS is to save desktop, not mobile.
Microsoft needs a mobile strategy, as the OP said, "No software company can survive long term without a mobile strategy" - not because phones are popular, but because they're becoming as capable and omnipresent as Windows computers. Windows isn't threatened yet, but they need to make sure they don't lose customers to Google and Apple.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
The idea of a foldable display is interesting in that it gives a tablet sized screen on a "theoretically" phone sized device. I don't think whatever emerges will be marketed as a phone. Much like the same way that the Surface targeted laptops. Whatever comes I suspect it will be a new category that will allow people to carry fewer devices.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Please note that 'Ultimate mobile device' is a phrase that is commonly misunderstood here. The word ultimate is often misunderstood due to marketing misuse (and MS don't do marketing, so you know they don't use marketing speak). It does mot mean 'best'. In reality it means 'final'. MS did live up to the often missed quote and have already created their ultimate, or final, mobile device. It was a phone. It was called the Lumia 950XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3