UI Suggestion for Windows 10 Setting dialogs (with pics)

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys.

I get annoyed by the settings app on Windows 10, mostly because of:

1. Too much wasted, barren space
  2. Lack of proper navigation in some areas that makes you lose the context of what you are doing
So I decided to give the redesign a go, and found out it is easier than I thought. It just so happens that all the areas with the aforementioned issues were supposed to be dialogs but for some reason the Microsoft design team missed it. So I created mock-ups to illustrate how much better the dialogs could look, while maintaining context:

Main backup page:
Backup Main.jpg

After clicking "more options" you go to this basically undesigned page:
After clicking "more options" you go to this page, with no navigation context And then there is my suggestion:
Backup Suggest.jpg
And now another example, from the Wifi settings page:

Wifi Main.jpg
Clicking "manage known networks" gets you to:

Wifi Dialog.jpg

And instead, you can have:

Wifi Suggest.jpg

What do you think? It doesn't take much at all to introduce a simple tweak into the design of the Settings app (and others, like Mail and Calendar that sorely lack in design) seeing as Fluent already includes "Light" and shadows. Let me know in the comments.

P.S. for Tablet Mode you can have the dialog appear on the right side of screen instead of center, so the user can use their right thumb to operate within the dialog.

Last edited:

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
excellent and neat.
can you make something about startscreen idea for pc and tablet screens.
I believe startscreen on Windows10 is ugly and backwards with that vertical scrolling compared to Windows10 mobile or Windows 8.1 startscreen.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
excellent and neat.
can you make something about startscreen idea for pc and tablet screens.
I believe startscreen on Windows10 is ugly and backwards with that vertical scrolling compared to Windows10 mobile or Windows 8.1 startscreen.

Actually I have strong opinions about the Start menu on the desktop and the Start screen in Tablet mode.
Tablet mode on Windows 10 doesn't hold a candle to what Windows 8(.1) had for touch.

I will later put my ideas into another post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans