How does Windows 10 manage drive spanning on multiple SSDs?

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I've been itching to use the span function on my two SSD from different models but I'm wary with my drive performance if it ever gets filled up. I use two SSD, Samsung EVO 750 and adata SP550 with each drive effective space each at 465GB and 447GB. I use both drives as game storage and both nearing its full capacity so I have to uninstall several games to install games from my library.

So my question is, is it safe to use span drive function with my setup? Does SSD slow down is still an issue?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I've used something similar called RAID 0 (ZERO) back in windows 7. works well until one drive fails or Mobo fails and the RAID pretty much dies with the Mobo. speed wasn't much improved over single HDD. I just didn't have to manage data on multiple drives. with better quality hardware nowadays, it might be worth it for some.

speed will be improved slightly, but not enough for the risk imo. I'd just get larger drives. you could also mirror your data into external HDD for when **** hits the fan. but then you'd have to do that on a regular basis and the amount of time it takes to mirror that much data. it's the time, money, and power consumption that made it not worth it for me to do mirroring every night, because I'd forget it otherwise.

Midi_Amp

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the similarity between Raid 0 and spanned volume ends in the use of multiple drives... Or so I gather from the source materials. I'm a bit wary to try it until I can prove or somebody can that the span volume works flawlessly in an SSD configuration (all source materials I can gather all use HDD to span volume). In my country, large capacity SSD is still quite expensive, per GB it's more expensive to buy the 1TB version compared to the 512GB version even though logically it's supposed to be the other way around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2