Windows remote desktop blanks out remote computer

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
I have installed Windows Remote Desktop on my two home computers, ethernet connected via LAN. When I try to connect from my home computer the program worked fine, but the remote computer will suddenly get a totally black screen. Is this the way the program works? I was hoping to use it to help my wife when she is using the remote computer.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have installed Windows Remote Desktop on my two home computers, ethernet connected via LAN. When I try to connect from my home computer the program worked fine, but the remote computer will suddenly get a totally black screen. Is this the way the program works? I was hoping to use it to help my wife when she is using the remote computer.

Are you using a firewall?

If not, best install a firewall as you will need to enable remote desktop services if they are not enabled. This will open you PCs to vulnerabilities associated with these remote desktop services.

To check if the remote desktop services are enabled - remote desktop configuration and remote desktop services. Open services.msc, scroll down to the named services and set them to manual not automatic.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, TechFreak1.

I am not an advanced user, so I am unable to follow your last paragraph instructions. I assumed that you meant to do this via Task Manager, but when I did I got the error msg (attached).

View attachment 140555

I did find another comment of interest. . .https://www.urtech.ca/2014/02/solved-remote-desktop-shows-black-screen-in-windows-7-and-8/

Ah, my apologies.

The easiest way to run services.msc is via Cortana's search box or Windows Key + R and type services.msc in the run dialogue box.

If running the services doesn't fix it for you, try the fix in the link.

The best shortcut for W10 is Windows key + X, but sadly they removed Control Panel from the drop down menu.

Services.msc is found under Services and Application in Computer Management.

Lastly, what version of Windows 10 are you running?

You can find easily by typing Winver in Cortana's Search box or msinfo32 for somewhat more detailed information.

redmisfitx

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

That is how remote desktop works, It will cause the host PC to go blank while your are dialed into it. What you are looking for to assist your wife is called "Remote Assistance".

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
The instruction on the link I posted earlier worked! The remote screen is no longer black, but the remote user is logged out and will have to log in again after the remote connection is terminated. The program allows only one active user at a time.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The instruction on the link I posted earlier worked! The remote screen is no longer black, but the remote user is logged out and will have to log in again after the remote connection is terminated. The program allows only one active user at a time.

Good to hear you managed to get it working :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon