Getting rid of OneDrive folders

iljajj

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I couldn't really find an answer to my question here so here goes. I've just migrated to Windows from MacOS (which I used since 1989) and while most of it has been smooth sailing and caused me quite a few smiles (turns out there still ARE computers that allow you to stick new memory in - who'd have thought), I've also had a few issues that took more energy.

One of these concerns OneDrive. I'm not using it, de-installed it and now see that it's still on my machine - kindasorta. My Desktop resides in a OneDrive folder, as do a few other ones, yet I also have "Desktop" and "Document" folders in the root of my user account. Files in he latter Desktop folder don't show up on the actual desktop. I'm kind of a neat freak, and somehow it bothers me no end to have two of these.

Is it possible to eliminate all the OneDrive stuff from my drive without too much hassle and without causing catastrophy?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Right click documents (Or whichever user folder)... Properties. Location Tab.
Select Restore Default.

Hope that helps. It might then copy whatever's in there to the 'default' windows location (Which is default if you don't use OneDrive). The default is in your user (named) folder within Users on your C: drive.

Hope that helps.

iljajj

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the tip! It worked perfectly for the desktop, but when I try to apply this to the Documents folder I get this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied".

I've tried to rename the Documents folder in the User folder, and also to copy everything by hand, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Edit: Googl... errr Bing is your friend. Solved it using this bit of registry editing. One of those things to get used to, I guess.

Last edited:

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
not sure if you can remove it. there are some things microsoft you just cannot get rid of. but you may be able to hide it. go to the folder property attributes and see if you can hide it there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon