This PC can't run Windows 11

mikeywc

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Checked the system requirements of my workstation and it says "This PC can't run Windows 11". Processor not supported. Why? Core i7@4.2GHz processor with 64 GB RAM. Specs attached... Windows_11_no.jpgWindows_11_my_specs.jpg

mikeywc

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I checked in the device manager and TPM 2.0 is working properly. I just wanted to see if my system was compatible with Windows 11 and was surprised to get the message that the processor was not compatible. Maybe Microsoft can fix this in the future, so it's easier for people to check without going into the BIOS and changing settings.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Here's more info. I have Core i7. Right now, I guess, it is only Core i8 and above, but they are considering adding i7...
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-open-lowering-minimum-cpu-requirements-windows-11

Just to be clear b/c you're conflating the tiers and generations: the initial Windows 11 reqs are 8th Gen or higher and yours is 7th Gen. The tier doesn't matter; 7th Gen i7 = not supported, 8th Gen i3 = supported. 7th Gen, maybe others, will probably be tested so there's a good chance your PC will end up being eligible.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They pulled the PC Health Checker, we'll probably have to wait until release is imminent to really know what is supported, what is "unsupported" and what it outright unsupported.

mikeywc

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I did not know that. I was confusing that. The sticker on the computer says Intel Core i7, 7th gen. I don't even want the preview. I just wanted to see if my computer could run Windows 11 when it was released at the end of the year.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
up and running the latest dev build on my I5 7th gen. My experience is that the boot up time is very long, thanks to the aging HDD. but the overall performance and general experience is good and feels more fluid than windows 10 . i do have TPM 2.0 enabled but still i have this notification in windows insiders tab that my system isn't supported. which will be eventually. so dont get worked up with such messages.

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
These all are speculations at that time. Nothing is right and nothing in wrong to say. The thing is Microsoft conduct in the windows 11 launch is questionable. i think the launch is a bit confusiing on many ends. So lets see what happens next. Right now they give us a ball to play or a lollypop to chew.

mikeywc

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Will they update the specs so other processors will be able to run Windows 11? Still says processor not "currently" supported....
Windows_11_100521.png

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I got the same thing. MS plans during a chip shortage is to get everyone to upgrade by replacing all their equipment?

i7 6700, so I need to buy a new MoBo, a New Chip and new ram? good plan:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
My Surface Pro 5 is not compatible because the i7 processor is not supported. Everything else is OK. Is it really not compatible???? I'll be looking for a way around this since it seems ridiculous.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 11 right now (insider dev. program), and has been for weeks and weeks just fine...so it seems. All my other computers (all more powerful than the SP3) say they don't meet the requirements for Windows 11. I just figured MS is placating to the newer models first and will get to the older versions later?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon