Wow, I feel cheated...

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
or maybe I should've just read the upgrade faq first. I'm stuck with a 32-bit Windows 8 Pro license, sigh.:(

"Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?"

"Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you'll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD.

You also won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version."

I take it that the "backup DVD" that I ordered extra for 14,99? will only be a 32-bit version ISO with no option to choose 64-bits. Really, I see no reason why Microsoft can't provide clear options when doing the upgrade. Especially for someone like me that used an old 32-bit xp license to upgrade from. That license is basically useless for me as I use some very memory intesive stuff on my PC and having that 4GB limit is just killing it. Maybe I'll install it on my gf's PC. :(

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
really? Well **** this, I have no use for a damn 32 bit OS.

So is there any realtively cheap way to use the 40$ upgrade option to get 64 bit? Does the "Windows 8 as DVD" refer to the "here are the files so you dont need to download" or is it more like "go to the store and buy the retail".

toekramp

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I take it that the "backup DVD" that I ordered extra for 14,99? will only be a 32-bit version ISO with no option to choose 64-bits.

why would you 'take it' that way? MS started including all versions of their OS on install discs, but you can only install the one you have a valid key for.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The Upgrade Assistant probably just matches your current OS. I had Win7 64bit and when I upgraded to Win8 it gave me the 64bit version automatically.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Aaah, nevermind then. I have a 64 bit OS, so shouldnt be a problem. I thought I can only get a 32 bit with this thing. Nvm :D

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The Upgrade Assistant probably just matches your current OS. I had Win7 64bit and when I upgraded to Win8 it gave be the 64bit version automatically.

Still, having the option to choose which version to install wouldn't be so hard to implement and AFAIK both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of 8 costs the same so why banish new and potentially long term users to an eternity in 32-bit ****?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Still, having the option to choose which version to install wouldn't be so hard to implement and AFAIK both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of 8 costs the same so why banish new and potentially long term users to an eternity in 32-bit ****?

I hear ya, but I think it would confuse the average consumer.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Actually, without a disk to install from it would be very hard. While the two versions of Windows may look very similar behind the scenes they're very different. The Upgrade Assistant is designed to take your current Windows from a previous version number to a new version number. If built properly, you can do this with a simple upgrade of a lot of files because they still function similarly.

When switching from 32-bit to 64-bit it's an extremely different beast. Even your basic system registry is not compatible between versions of Windows and it's not so much upgrading you as removing everything and starting fresh. That's the only safe way to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

I'm sure someone out there has written a much more technical explanation than I care to try here, but the basic concept is that because the memory registers and instruction sets are different they're like cars that have a diesel engine option - they look the same on the outside but work very differently under the hood.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You can upgrade to 64 bit from 32bit without the disk. I already explained this to the OP.

You just need to run the upgrade assistant from a 64 bit version of Windows. ie, 64 bit Windows 8 Release Preview. Then use the iso or usb to do a clean install.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes