After using W8 for a few months, I'm glad that Sinofsky is gone

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Most of us have heard the rumors, that Sinofsky was hard to work with, didn't share information with other departments and exerted too much control. It really hit when I tried to play a song that I transferred from Xbox Music to my 920 and got the classic media usage rights error. It made me realize how disconnected Windows 8 is. Xbox Video doesn't play well with Windows Phone. The Music app can't handle music. And generally speaking, there seems to be a lack of synergy between apps and the ecosystem as a whole. Thus the question becomes, did Sinofsky's death grib on W8 and his inability to work as a team force other devs to work in a bubble?

Last edited:

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes the whole ecosystem is in flux. Things are really disconnected rite now. However, the ground work for a really cool, connected, ecosystem is there. It just needs to be refined. Give it till this fall and see how it works. I have a whole apple home and am fascinated to see what Microsoft comes up with.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
MS spent a long time under the watchful eye of government anti-trust lawyers in the US, so there were many things that they were prevented from doing in terms of connecting services together. Google and Apple didn't have those restrictions. It's interesting to see how far MS have come in a relatively short period of time. I think it bodes well for the future.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
While the anti-trust lawsuit is definitely a factor, a lot of these missing services already existed. For example, Zune already supported movie purchases and the movies would sync with WP7. Aside from SkyDrive, there's almost no synchronization between WP8 and W8, that includes the shared kernel. It's apparent that Microsoft wanted to do several things with W8 and someone flat out botched the execution. All signs point to the man that was forced out.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Aside from SkyDrive, there's almost no synchronization between WP8 and W8, that includes the shared kernel.

Considering that Windows 8 and Windows RT will synchronize everything between multiple tablets or laptops, I'd say that it seems like it's WP8 which is at fault.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
They laid down the foundation now watch them build an ecosystem. I just hope google doesn't do it before them. I hope MS can come with a better system

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Windows 8 since December, and it really feels... unfinished. There are errors that I shouldn't ever be having; I'm not able to do a lot of things I should be able to; and some things seem a lot more complicated, time-consuming, and frustrating than they should be. I really like Windows Phone, but I'm hoping that Blue, or whatever update is next, addresses the concerns many of us have about Windows 8 and the ecosystem MS is trying to sell to us.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm not seeing what the fuss is because I never used Zune movies (I don't buy movies at all, just watch on Netflix) and I've never purchased a song from Zune/Xbox Music or had any subscriptions. I never even used Zune at all until I got my Lumia 900. I get my music from Amazon.com. Maybe if people had been using Microsoft for music/movies it would make a difference, but I've never used Microsoft (or Apple) for purchasing media or subscribing to media.

On the subject of Sinofsky, I follow him on LinkedIn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes