Animated Gif files, is it really so difficult?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have run into an impasse. Apparently my sister loves her .gif images. Apparently now that she has installed 8.1, she can't just view them anymore. She says it shows up as a group of images instead of one image. For me, I just tried to download one on my RT and it shows up as a single image. Checked to make sure it was .gif, and it is. Then I checked to see if it opens in IE, which it does.

Then I checked Bing, and apparently support is left out because 'few people uses .gif anyway', as one oblivious Microsoft Engineer put it. Is there truly no way to get the photo app to view .gif the way they were meant to be viewed?

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Gif files, is it really so difficult?

So, they tell us that .gif isn't widely used?

Blasphemy.

I'd take that GIF of Steve Ballmer jumping around and post it all over the internet, and everyone would recognize it.

Jeremy McElwrath

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree that this is absolute madness. .GIFs not popular? What kind of God fearing, Amish person did they hire at Microsoft to come up with that great idea. Why the hell do they insist this be a default program when it's not going to be inclusive of the very things it's trying to display. Images. I absolutely love the Photo viewing app, and I'm going to dig until I find a good enough solution, whether it be some plugin, or another program with the same type of simplistic user interface and capability.

yarvelling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree that this is absolute madness. .GIFs not popular? What kind of God fearing, Amish person did they hire at Microsoft to come up with that great idea. Why the hell do they insist this be a default program when it's not going to be inclusive of the very things it's trying to display. Images. I absolutely love the Photo viewing app, and I'm going to dig until I find a good enough solution, whether it be some plugin, or another program with the same type of simplistic user interface and capability.

Try 'IrfanView'.
Excellent photo viewer/editor, and animated GIF player. Just allow it to associate the .GIF extensions to make it your default gif viewer. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes