Upgrading from 8.1 to 7

Just Me

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I am waiting for my backup to download to my external drive so I figured I would make a last ditch call for help. I know its not a Windows forum but I have an account so I figured I would give it a try. Call it trolling if you must but I am not liking Windows 8. I patiently waited for 8.1 and all the improvements, it arrived and guess what there are no significant improvements. I have made the effort to learn the new UI but I still hobble around with alt-tab, right hand top corner hotspot and all the other hap hazard UI interface improvements. I could deal with it, I like the idea of active tiles and the shift from a start menu to a start screen. The fianc? can not, the ultimatum was issued yesterday, switch to Windows 7 or we are getting a MAC. She is prepared to ditch the 6 month old state of the art Samsung Ultrabook for a MAC. I can do that so I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 7

List of grivances
1. Java - Java never works properly
2. exe files - im sorry but locking me out of exe file is a giant pain, I am not a tech wizard so the tutorials only aggrevated me more.
3. pdf viewer - why are there 2 different pdf viewers, both the destop and start screen should launch the same viewer.

/end rant
/end trolling

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
>>installs w7
>>remembers its like w8.1 desktop mode only slower and with less features.
>>buys mac out of spite
Thatlshowem.jpg

Yeah, you're doing it wrong.

Just Me

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, what exactly are your issues with java and executables?
When clicking on an exercise file I am asked to select which program I want to use to launch the file. Java installs and then a couplenof days later the same websites and programs prompt me do redownload java plug ins.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm a computer tech and recommend you visit the Samsung support site to see if Win7 is supported on your computer. If so, try to find step-by-step instructions for a fresh install. If it is not supported you should not attempt it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I know my answer is off topic but still i couldn't resist to write. Why going back to Windows 7 as you can install Ubuntu Linux.
The new ubuntu feels more like a Mac (no comments linux lovers). Although the secure boot may become an issue but there are several articles regarding it.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know my answer is off topic but still i couldn't resist to write. Why going back to Windows 7 as you can install Ubuntu Linux.
The new ubuntu feels more like a Mac (no comments linux lovers). Although the secure boot may become an issue but there are several articles regarding it.

If the OP is having issues with .exe files and java, he/she will have no fun with Ubuntu.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
When clicking on an exercise file I am asked to select which program I want to use to launch the file. Java installs and then a couplenof days later the same websites and programs prompt me do redownload java plug ins.

.exe files are executables which mean they do not not a separate program to launch. I would contact Samsung for service.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

Linux is fine for certain things. As a daily driver for the average Joe? Its awful. A person who finds the jump from w7 to w8 jarring and confusing will be destroyed by Linux. Linux is not a windows replacement. Its a totally different OS.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
OP: How long have you been using Win 8? It does take a while to get used to it. Sure, reverting back to Win 7 will appease the girl-friend and you for the short-term but Win 8 is the future. And overpaying for a MAC just to avoid the inevitable really isn't a solution either. Sooner or later businessess will begin to adopt Win 8 and then you will not have a choice in the matter.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Buy Windows 7-64, backup your documents, etc. to an external HD, then do a clean install of Windows 7 (i.e. blow away the Win8 partition completely).

I would probably download the Win7 drivers for your computer from the Samsung website just in case the net card or graphics drivers aren't already in Win7.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Your first mistake was installing Java at all. I have it on my work machine out of necessity, but I will not install it on my home machine. If something requires it then I do not use it.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was typing up a response to try and help you rectify your problems but I decided against it. I've come to realize that once you have a sour taste in your mouth, you will always have that taste.

As mentioned above, if you know what you're doing, making sure Win 7 drivers are available for your device, backup, and do a fresh install.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
In what scenario do you need alt tab any more than in previous versions of Windows? You realize nobody is forcing you to mix desktop + metro app usage at the same time, right?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1) If you define the specifics of problems, people might be able to help. Non-specific comments about Java (Java problems are almost always Java related) and saying you are locked out of exes says absolutely nothing of substance. You could be describing a hardware problem or something as simple as not being logged in as an administrator. If it is the latter, claiming you want to go back to Windows 7 would seem odd since those security features are the same as Windows 7 and date back to Vista. They are also disabled or adjusted the same was as in Windows 7.
2) Using a trolling header and typical troll style BS (posting about upgrading to the earlier OS in a Windows 8 forum and posturing about buying a Mac) will not get you much assistance.
3) If you consider Windows 8.1 to be confining what would make you think the ultimate closed ecosystem (Apple's) will offer you?
4) You can install whatever pdf reader you want in Windows 8.1, and set the default application the same as you would in any version of Windows since Windows XP. It also takes under five seconds to uninstall the Modern UI version if it bothers you so much. I am sorry but do you realize how ludicrous it sounds to say you want to downgrade your OS or buy a Mac because you don't know how to uninstall an app. Here is a hint: on a non-touch machine, right click on the icon and note the options that appear.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Going from 8.1 to Windows 7 is NOT "upgrading"... It's downgrading.

2. Guys, if he "knew what he was doing" as to properly converting his PC back to a Windows 7 installation, then he'd know enough to know that 8.1 is much better at/for everything.

3. EXE files are "executable" files, not "exercise" files.

Recommended solutions:

1. Stick with 8.1 and learn the new way of doing things. As someone said earlier in the thread, you'll be glad you did as it will be the new standard like it or not.

2. Reconsider the engagement if she's going to threaten you with Mac/Apple products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon