Windows 8 on 1 GB RAM core2duo

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way to reduce idle ram usage in windows 8 below 700 MB?

I ve tried reducing number of live tiles on start and turning them off, disabling windows defender( i use resource friendly eset nod 32 antivirus). Is there anything else i can do? I have already disabled non microsoft processes from startup. Is eset tray notifier essential or is it safe to disable it as well?

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have 1 GB RAM as mentioned in thread title, with idle RAM usage (NO programs running) being around 700 mb ie 70%
I noticed few improvements in 8.1.1 but programs like google chrome are very slow and often end up hanging.
Is there any way to idle reduce RAM usage to around 500 MB.?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1 GB of RAM is pushing the lower bounds of what Windows can handle. I don't recommend Google Chrome because it is fast, but can be fat.

Keep in mind that high RAM usage doesn't necessarily indicated wasted RAM.

I would assume the Modern apps are lighter on memory and resources in general.

But dang, you might want to consider an upgrade, what kind of system is it?

I would ditch the antivirus you got and stick to the built-in Defender.

Check task manager and kill unnecessary stuff like Google Update

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
^It is intel core 2 duo 64 bit system with gma (purchased in 2009) but i have installed 32 bit windows 8 alongside xp on it. Thanks for your tip i might consider windows defender again.

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh hah, I meant whether its a laptop or a desktop
I was going to suggest a new or refurb computer that has more RAM and horsepower (some decent,ones can be very inexpensive.) , but that sounds like its serviceable. My current laptop is from the same time period.

A RAM upgrade is probably easiest and worth it if you intend to keep your system for a while more, look into it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar