Why is my disk utilisation still on 100%?

anon(10106667)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

so my problem is that the disk utilisation is on 100% most of the time. Especially after boot up and whenever I start a program which requires more than about 500 MB RAM. I'm not able to use Visual Studio, Excel and Edge at the same time 'cause the disk usage always jumps to 100%. I already googled as many solution as I could.

Most of the time, ntoskrnl.exe (System process) and MsMpEng.exe (Windows Defender Antimalware Service) cause the high disk usage.

Here is what I've tried so far:
1. disabled some unnecessary services, such as Superfetch and Windows Search
2. turned off taskbar and window animations
3. scanned for malware (I use Windows Defender)
4. reschedule Windows Defender operations in Task Scheduler so it doesn't scan for viruses very frequently

These methods solved the problem for others, but not for me. I'm puzzled. My laptop is not a strong one, but should be enough for home use (browser, Office and developing console applications only). Specifications:

Brand: Lenovo Ideapad 310
OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (no longer connected to corporal network)
CPU: Intel Core i5 7500U 2.50 GHz
RAM: 4 GB only, running at 1064 MHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620

I think the high usage can be caused by the OS or by the RAM. As far as I know, Enterprise provides additional security services which become useless if I'm a home user. Usually, 70+ services and 40+ background processes run at the same time. Is that normal? Do I need all of them? What if I downgrade to Win 10 Pro?

Or, which is most likely I guess, the problem is that I only have 4 GB of memory. Should I overclock it to 2133 MHz?
I'm also considering buying an extra 4 GB. Do you think more memory would reduce the disk usage?

I much appreciate your help! Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12