Well this is interesting...

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
On a Windows 8.1 Update computer, sometimes the desktop icons disappear. They're replaced by a small window without any content. Double-clicking the window fixes that. Any insights?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That is interesting, is that running on a dedicated GPU or integrated graphics?
I had a similar behaviour on a very old pc (Amd athlon 2000) where it turned out the graphics card was crapping out as the PC as it increased in frequency and would crash into a state of blurry rainbow coloured images when running anything graphically intensive. Switching out the Graphics card solved the problem.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
That is interesting, is that running on a dedicated GPU or integrated graphics?
I had a similar behaviour on a very old pc (Amd athlon 2000) where it turned out the graphics card was crapping out as the PC as it increased in frequency and would crash into a state of blurry rainbow coloured images when running anything graphically intensive. Switching out the Graphics card solved the problem.

Integrated

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Same on a desktop upgraded from vista. Think it might be a side effect of the transparent trick

That could probably be it and if it is not really sure how you could fix that as I prefer to do clean installs.

I guess you could use windows blinds and just hide away all the icons so it doesn't bother you :grin:.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
That could probably be it and if it is not really sure how you could fix that as I prefer to do clean installs.

I guess you could use windows blinds and just hide away all the icons so it doesn't bother you :grin:.

Well I can live with it, it's just annoying.

I have desktop icons hidden

kaantantr

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
That sounds very similar to whats happening to me on my W8.1 laptop. Sometimes when I boot up the computer, all the desktop icons start up as hidden, as if they were there but just out of my screen, as if I had a second monitor.

Creating a new icon or right click>rearrange icons fixes the problem as if the computer realised the screen was just 1366*728 and brings back the icons back on screen.

I definitely believe it has something to do with Windows updates. There has been a couple of them popping up on my pc recently and this issue did not exist about 2 months ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon