XBOX music to Home Audio

tgallipeau

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would like to stream my xbox music to my home stereo, as a former iPhone user with iTunes I would just stream my collection via an AirPort. However with xbox music having DRM enabled everything I?ve read seems to indicate the only way to stream from a Windows 8 computer is to fire up your xbox and use it as a media hub. I would prefer not to do this as I find this rather clumsy.

• I considered purchasing a SONOS system; this however currently does not support xbox music.
  • I looked at my ROKU it only has HDMI out, my receiver only has optical and RCA jacks.
  • I suppose I could install iTunes on my windows 8 computer and see if it will stream the DRM music to the AirPort (I highly doubt this will work, and I would prefer to get away from iTunes).

I know DNLA is an option so I see WDTV HD might be an option, anyone doing this? Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions, user experiences with other solutions, or advice is appreciated.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Just get yourself an Xbox. They are relativly dirt cheap and offer much more functionality than just streaming music; and playing games for that matter. The media content now available for Xbox is pretty impressive and they just integrated IE into the mix so you can browse internet from TV. Though I'm not a big Xbox gamer I can tell you the Kinect games are a lot of fun.

tgallipeau

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response, I have an xbox, I just find it a bit ridiculous to turn on a tv, turn on an xbox go to the music option, then turn on xbox glass to control the stream music via my computer through ethernet to my stereo. I'm lazy I would like to do it in one or two steps.

I just find this to be very clumsy, yes I can do it, but there has to be a simpiler more elegant solution available, I just cannot seem to find it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to take notice but I don't believe I go through that many steps. Oh, I use Windows Media Center and have the Xbox setup as a Media Center Extender. There are some other 3rd party apps out there (PlayOn, etc) that do a pretty good job managing PC media as well.

tgallipeau

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to take notice but I don't believe I go through that many steps.

Maybe I am doing something wrong... I keep discovering that I can be doing things more efficiently. I will try the media center option, I have made a note to download the media center software for Windows 8, I do have the Pro version so this will not be a problem.

Thanks again for the information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos