BUG? No on screen keyboard when using Groove Music search text box

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I posted the text below in the comment section to today's article noting the release of the latest update to Groove Music. I thought I'd also post it here to try and get more visibility for this problem, and see if anyone else is experiencing this behavior, knows of a fix, etc:

This is driving me crazy. On my touch devices (DV8P, HP Stream 7, and Asus touchscreen laptop), tapping in the Groove Music search box absolutely will not bring up the on screen keyboard, no matter what. It's been a problem for me with Groove Music since installing Windows 10, but I don't have this issue in any other apps. I've used the feedback app and see that ohers have the same issue, but it doesn't seem to have that many votes like I would expect if it was happening to "everyone". (Of course there are multiple different versions of this complaint each with some number of votes, so I don't know how many votes there would be if you totaled all of them up.) However, I never see this problem mentioned on this site or others.

So is this just a weird bug that only affects a minority of us touch users for some odd reason? Or does nobody with a tablet use search? Or is nobody actually using Groove? Because to me this is such a glaringly obvious and maddening UI bug in touch mode that if it was common, it should have been elevated to top priority and fixed months ago.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, no replies? Maybe I should have made this a poll. I was hoping to get either "Yes, I have this problem!" or "no, it works for me", or perhaps a fix. It's trivial to test if you have a touch screen after all.

I'm convinced after doing more digging that this issue is not an isolated problem. Which is incredibly concerning. Because it means that the team making the Groove Music app is either unaware of this problem - which brings up the question of what kind of testing process (and feedback review process) do they have that would miss a bug like this for months on end - or they don't care - which brings up a whole different level of concern. Because if they did know about this bug, and they did care, why wouldn't it be fixed already? I mean, how long could it take to fix it? A few seconds?

The other concerning thing is why would this sort of bug even be possible? I could understand if there was a system wide bug that wouldn't bring up the on screen keyboard in any app textboxes, but that's not the case here. For every other app I've tried, the on screen keyboard comes up when tapping in a text box. It's literally only a problem in the Groove Music app. Which suggests to me that there must be a way for an app to override the behavior of bringing up the on-screen keyboard when a text box is activated (tapped in) on a touch device without a hardware keyboard. What possible situation would there ever be for an app to be justified in doing that? Why would the API possibly allow for that?

wp_rt

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem. I had it back in August and was just searching to see if it had been fixed yet. I guess not. One might get the feeling that Microsoft is running away from touch and universal apps and all that. Anyway, I thought they would have this resolved by now. I also wish they would bring back the alphabetical index that they used to have on Xbox Music.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Have same problem. Stream 7. Groove music is useless now.

Has the latest Groove Music app update (as of 2015-10-30: version 3.6.1382.0) helped you (or anyone else)? Just curious. It hasn't fixed it for me, but someone on the main news comments says it solved the problem for him/her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234