Changing contact name in Skype adds empty outlook contact in WP8.1?

Theolos

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Changing contact name in Skype adds empty outlook contact in WP8.1

Hi there.

I have my Skype account linked to my microsoft account, as most of you guys probably do. I use Skype for work and i try to keep my Skype contact names tidy to understand who it is i'm skyping with. It often happens that some of my contacts are named by wierd strings of gibberish or their old nicknames i do not associate them with. So i rename them to a Name, Family name kind of convention.

The odd thing is that this Skype renaming starts messing with my Windows Phone 8.1 contact list. After i rename a contact in Skype an outlook (or people app contact, as you wish) is created with zero information but the name and this contact is stored absolutely separately from the one i already have for that person.

At first i thought "hey, why is my phone's contact list littered with duplicate outlook contacts with no information in them, let me delete them. Only after i've deleted these empty ones i've realized that in Skype these contacts have returned to their gibberish origins.

And i'm left with either a cluttererd contact list or with an incomprehensible contact list in Skype.

It looks like the same thing happens when i save an e-mail address from my Windows Phone 8.1 Outlook app. It blatantly adds a separate contact with zero details but the e-mail address and there is no option to add an e-mail address to an existing contact.

Has anybody found a clean and correct way to unite all of the Skype, E-mail and phone contacts (probably even facebook and linkedin too, why the heck not..) in one clean and non-cluttered setup?

Or is the thing so broken that it's at this point impossible?

Theolos

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Changing contact name in Skype adds empty outlook contact in WP8.1

Oddly enough, when i delete this empty contact name from Windows Phone contacts i cannot find the skype contact of this person at all. So in Skype i have him represented by two contacts, his skype name and his proper Name Surname with a cell phone. BUT in Windows Phone contacts i cannot find the skype contact at all. This feels very awkward. I'll try to fiddle with this system some more.

Theolos

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Changing contact name in Skype adds empty outlook contact in WP8.1

After further fiddling around i realized another issue: some 50% of my skype contacts are no where to be found in Windows phone Contacts. Any known fix for this?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
For your first post I would suggest you "Link" your main contact for that person to these odd contacts, that way you end up with just the one contact with all info for that person in one place, even if this is just to keep the single name.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720