Virtual keyboard on Mango

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who is experiencing worse typing on the virtual keyboard in Mango? I swear, in NoDo I would TRY to mess up my typing and it worked flawlessly (one of the highlights that drew from Android to WP7).

Now, with Mango, it seems like its still accurate, but nowhere near as well as it was in NoDo. Anyone else experience this? Luckily, the physical keyboard is there, but I like not having to use it if I don't need to for short messages...

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I know Microsoft changed the keyboard in Mango. They increased the hit boxes when you're typing fast for the next letter they think you're going to hit. Are you a faster typer? Maybe you're typing uncommon words?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I know Microsoft changed the keyboard in Mango. They increased the hit boxes when you're typing fast for the next letter they think you're going to hit. Are you a faster typer? Maybe you're typing uncommon words?

I remember reading that and thought it should be better. It actually is pretty accurate when I type fast, but when I type slow it is terribly off really...

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I remember reading that and thought it should be better. It actually is pretty accurate when I type fast, but when I type slow it is terribly off really...
Hmm I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I go to Mango. I usually mistype letters every now and then, but I'll finish my message and tap the word later to correct them.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I go to Mango. I usually mistype letters every now and then, but I'll finish my message and tap the word later to correct them.

Yea. I type pretty fast, but when there are times I have to type slow with one hand. When I type slow with one finger it is more accurate than other keyboards from different OS's, but idk. On NoDo it just seemed like PERFECT. Now, it seems like I see it auto correcting a lot more than it use to, and when I type slow with one finger I see letters being pressed that I didn't mean to press a lot more frequently...

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The NoDo keyboard is great as long as the autocorrect feature is enabled. I have a terrible time sending messages in the Xbox Live Extras apps. It doesn't auto capitalize or have autocomplete. I end up mistyping constantly.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea. I type pretty fast, but when there are times I have to type slow with one hand. When I type slow with one finger it is more accurate than other keyboards from different OS's, but idk. On NoDo it just seemed like PERFECT. Now, it seems like I see it auto correcting a lot more than it use to, and when I type slow with one finger I see letters being pressed that I didn't mean to press a lot more frequently...

I absolutely noticed this, I was thinking I was going crazy. I only had nodo for a few days, but I definitely noticed that slow typing is just about annoying now.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely noticed this, I was thinking I was going crazy. I only had nodo for a few days, but I definitely noticed that slow typing is just about annoying now.

So I'm not the only one....lol....I was starting to think I was going insane lol. To be fair, this is still beta, and kinks may get worked out (doubt it because Sprint is in bed with Android and NOW the iPhone....slutty carrier =\...... ) when carrier versions get released....

Kind of off the subject (but kind of on)......is the Mango Build 7720 the build that was released to carriers? Or do they probably have the 7720.08 or w/e the build is? I know we can't expect this to come until like January of freaking 2020 anyway, but just wondering....?

Last edited:

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not the only one....lol....I was starting to think I was going insane lol. To be fair, this is still beta, and kinks may get worked out (doubt it because Sprint is in bed with Android and NOW the iPhone....slutty carrier =\...... ) when carrier versions get released....

Kind of off the subject (but kind of on)......is the Mango Build 7720 the build that was released to carriers? Or do they probably have the 7720.08 or w/e the build is? I know we can't expect this to come until like January of freaking 2020 anyway, but just wondering....?

i've seen it mentioned a few times that it will be 7720.xx to reflect carrier specific changes...

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....so does that mean HTC has to do some things too (like drivers and stuff) or is it JUST in Sprint's hands at this point before deployment?

good question. I think I saw there might be some driver things but I am not sure. I do know that my wife has had some bluetooth issues since going Mango. Not sure if they are random or not, I don't use bluetooth very often (she has the 2010...I got the 2004 beater)

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
yea...there are other little bugs that make it difficult to stay with Mango (but I don't want to go back)

1. IE isn't as smooth as it was. I understand this has to be due to it being IE 9 and having functionality (like hardware acceleration and HTML5 support, etc...) but it just seems laggier now.

2. One-handed typing is harder

3. If I go to Amazon.com and click on the play button, it goes to open the Music app but it says I don't have an internet connection (even though I know I do)

4. When opening contacts, you can no longer search by hitting the search button (kind of annoying)

5. No real turn by turn solution yet

6. Speech to text isn't integrated throughout the entire OS, and though it is useful, it is usually not very accurate unless it is dead quiet around you and is usually much less accurate than Android's version...

As I said before, Mango is a huge game changer, and the smoother scrolling framerate and faster performance make it too hard to go back to NoDo, but I wish it kept the stability it had from NoDo. I'm not trying to complain about WP7, just saying what stands out to me as things that I wish worked and would keep me from ever really contemplating another OS (just switched from my Nexus S 4G around 2 weeks ago).

The smoother UI and hardware acceleration throughout the entire OS is just too good for me to ever consider Android again, though I do miss the power I had with it. Yea, Android is supposed to bring hardware acceleration in Ice Cream, but they've been saying that since forever and I really doubt the UI is going to be close to being as smooth as WP7...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon