MY thoughts on the Focus S Post your Focus S reviews.

Depatter

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
3 days in here are my 2 cents. My last phone was an iPhone 4, so all comparisons are against it.

The Bad

- Phone feels plasticky and cheap. The cover on my camera flash depresses when lightly touched, almost as if its loose. The buttons are loose and cheap feeling.

- The sound quality when listening to music is intermittently poor, the volume is not very loud when turned all the way up, and call quality is weak (compared to an iphone on the same network).

-Sometimes when I take a call, the screen will change black when I am reaching to use the keyboard to hang-up. It will almost blink as I move my hand in and away from the screen.

-Screen is bright when the settings are fixed, but the whites appear blueish when viewed at angles.

The Good

- Great OS! I'm so incredibly impressed. This physical phone may not be for me, but I am sold on the OS.

- Fast Fast Fast.

- Top notch camera and picture quality.

I would have loved to have Focus S guts in a Flash body.
Unfortunately, this might be a return for me.

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
3 days in here are my 2 cents. My last phone was an iPhone 4, so all comparisons are against it.

The Bad

- Phone feels plasticky and cheap. The cover on my camera flash depresses when lightly touched, almost as if its loose. The buttons are loose and cheap feeling.

[Can't complain there, you are coming from double glass and metal....anything will feel "cheap". I just say it feels "different", seeing as its the same body as the galaxy S II (android).]

- The sound quality when listening to music is intermittently poor, the volume is not very loud when turned all the way up, and call quality is weak (compared to an iphone on the same network).

[This is disappointing if true, was one of the most annoying things for me with the original Focus...anyone else care to share???]

-Sometimes when I take a call, the screen will change black when I am reaching to use the keyboard to hang-up. It will almost blink as I move my hand in and away from the screen.

[Proximity sensor.....not a bug really]

-Screen is bright when the settings are fixed, but the whites appear blueish when viewed at angles.

[iPhones have blueish and yellowish screens...Super AMOLED + sceens typically have a blue'ish hue to them if not looked at directly. You get used to it quickly though unless you keep comparing to other phones]

The Good

- Great OS! I'm so incredibly impressed. This physical phone may not be for me, but I am sold on the OS.

- Fast Fast Fast.

- Top notch camera and picture quality.

I would have loved to have Focus S guts in a Flash body.
Unfortunately, this might be a return for me.

Added comments in []'s

ScubaSteve2

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I just want to say a few things.

1) Yes it is a little laggy when plugged in, but that doesn't bother me too much

2) Everyone keeps saying it feels cheap. I love the feel of the phone. Yes it is light, yes it is made of plastic. I much more prefer the feel of this device over an iPhone, which is as heavy as a brick, and is definitely more likely to break when you drop it.

3) Every operation in the OS runs as smooth as silk on this device (except when plugged in).

4) You cannot go wrong with this device. Unless you have tiny hands.

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
My only gripe is Tango not being available. Also, the video call app in Samsung Zone isn't available to me, so...

I love the Focus S and don't notice any lag.

Working for the 2 companies that have something to do with this phone makes me less picky and more biased towards WP7. (MS and att)

I've tried every OS and I love WP7.

Also the lack of accessories is a disappointment but only on the case makers.

There's a Tango xap on XDA and it works great!

Edit: It's actually in the marketplace now! http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/apps/fe30c379-d111-427d-894f-dc3bfa0ec371

Last edited:

DaHui623

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from an original Palm Pre- on Sprint, so this thing feels extremely fast and smooth to me. I'm perfectly happy with the choice.

dragonfire6

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I picked up my S for $100 in-store last night and with only a couple hours with this phone, I'm sure this phone will get me thru the next two years!

Design: Yea, we've seen this design before but i believe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!" You will be shocked at how light it is and I personally like my phone to be light and thin, which the S definitely pulls off well. I have occasionally hit the camera button on accident and expected the app to pop up on the screen, interrupting my web browsing or text but I have yet to bump it hard enough to activate the camera. Although, when I have needed to pull the camera up, the button feel is good. I think I prefer the Focus button but this would be a close second if not comparable. You won't realize how flimsy the back plate is until you actually take it off the phone which should need to be done so I see this as a non-issue and good for saving some weight. Everything feels like it is exactly where it should be and even tho the charging port does not have a door or cover, I'm glad it is on the bottom of the phone now (dock please!!!).

Screen: The screen is amazing and I actually like the fact that the Low setting for the screen brightness is VERY low! I remember using the Focus while laying in bed with all the lights off and I wished the screen could get even dimmer, like my old Captivate. The low setting on the S is perfect and actually more dim than my Captivate. It's like Low is 5%, Medium is 60% and High is supernova (pretty solid when viewing in sunlight). I think the viewing angles are great and the colors are nice and rich.

Camera: I haven't fully tested the camera but when you press the dedicated camera button, the app springs up very quickly, enabling you to snap shots (even from a locked state) very quickly.

UI: The S runs Mango like a champ. Although not extremely extensive use, I have experienced no lag or delay with any application process or opening. I do have lag with the key presses and when locking & unlocking the device. Not the end of the world for me since I never have these sounds on but I can see this getting annoying for someone who likes those sounds. I never experienced this on the Focus. I was scrolling thru an album that has over 500 pictures in it (stored on phone memory) and I noticed immediately that this phone was able to scroll and load pics faster than the Focus. With the Focus, if quickly scrolled thru the thumbnail view of the same album, the thumbnails were sometimes blank boxes until towards the end of the scroll. The S does not experience this.

Sooooo... I'm in a different boat than other reviewers because I'm coming from a 2yr old Captivate so I can't directly compare the S to the Focus. I can see some people saying the S isn't much of an upgrade from the Focus but I also can't see someone walking into an AT&T store and choosing the Focus over the S.
This is a great phone and for $100, I don't think you can go wrong.

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
I picked up my S for $100 in-store last night and with only a couple hours with this phone, I'm sure this phone will get me thru the next two years!

Design: Yea, we've seen this design before but i believe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!" You will be shocked at how light it is and I personally like my phone to be light and thin, which the S definitely pulls off well. I have occasionally hit the camera button on accident and expected the app to pop up on the screen, interrupting my web browsing or text but I have yet to bump it hard enough to activate the camera. Although, when I have needed to pull the camera up, the button feel is good. I think I prefer the Focus button but this would be a close second if not comparable. You won't realize how flimsy the back plate is until you actually take it off the phone which should need to be done so I see this as a non-issue and good for saving some weight. Everything feels like it is exactly where it should be and even tho the charging port does not have a door or cover, I'm glad it is on the bottom of the phone now (dock please!!!).

Screen: The screen is amazing and I actually like the fact that the Low setting for the screen brightness is VERY low! I remember using the Focus while laying in bed with all the lights off and I wished the screen could get even dimmer, like my old Captivate. The low setting on the S is perfect and actually more dim than my Captivate. It's like Low is 5%, Medium is 60% and High is supernova (pretty solid when viewing in sunlight). I think the viewing angles are great and the colors are nice and rich.

Camera: I haven't fully tested the camera but when you press the dedicated camera button, the app springs up very quickly, enabling you to snap shots (even from a locked state) very quickly.

UI: The S runs Mango like a champ. Although not extremely extensive use, I have experienced no lag or delay with any application process or opening. I do have lag with the key presses and when locking & unlocking the device. Not the end of the world for me since I never have these sounds on but I can see this getting annoying for someone who likes those sounds. I never experienced this on the Focus. I was scrolling thru an album that has over 500 pictures in it (stored on phone memory) and I noticed immediately that this phone was able to scroll and load pics faster than the Focus. With the Focus, if quickly scrolled thru the thumbnail view of the same album, the thumbnails were sometimes blank boxes until towards the end of the scroll. The S does not experience this.

Sooooo... I'm in a different boat than other reviewers because I'm coming from a 2yr old Captivate so I can't directly compare the S to the Focus. I can see some people saying the S isn't much of an upgrade from the Focus but I also can't see someone walking into an AT&T store and choosing the Focus over the S.
This is a great phone and for $100, I don't think you can go wrong.

How'd you get it for $100?

dragonfire6

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

There is a legitimate $100 online coupon (google "AT&T $100 discount") and I went into the store, pulled up the discount page on one of the store's iPads, went basically thru the ordering process and had the checkout screen showing the $100 discount and then asked a manager if they would honor the price. They had no problem doing it since it was AT&T's website.

I was working with just a rep and she thought she was gonna need the manager to enter his code/number to approve the discount but it went thru without needing the manager to type in his #. I was happy... Well, except for the lack of cases or screen protectors :|

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
dragonfire6, were you a new customer (or adding a line)?? I went to my AT&T store & they wouldn't price match the $100 off (or even the other $75 one).

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I played with the focus S last evening at the ATT store. I did not notice any lag on the phone which was on. It is certainly thin but to me it fely good in my hand. The size of the S is about the same as my focus with a silcon case on it, exceptfor the thiness. On Saturday ATT during their Black Friday weekend says they will have all their Windows Phones on sale for a penny with 2 yr contract I was unable to make it to the ATT store thursday to ask if thats also on upgrades as well. I am hoping so> I'll report back after tomorrows visit.

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I played with the focus S last evening at the ATT store. I did not notice any lag on the phone which was on. It is certainly thin but to me it fely good in my hand. The size of the S is about the same as my focus with a silcon case on it, exceptfor the thiness. On Saturday ATT during their Black Friday weekend says they will have all their Windows Phones on sale for a penny with 2 yr contract I was unable to make it to the ATT store thursday to ask if thats also on upgrades as well. I am hoping so> I'll report back after tomorrows visit.
hopefully the sale will apply to upgrades! i need to upgrade. asap. :D

i played with it in the store the first day it came out. i was surprised that even at a small town here they have all wp7 devices on display. the Focus S was placed right between of the Flash and HD7s. i got to say the screen is just so beautiful when placed next to the HD7s. i didn't notice any lagging too.. maybe i wasn't pressing around too much. The front camera quality was better than i thought too. and this phone does feel so good in hand. cannot wait to upgrade.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am mystified by the reports of lag. I walked into the AT&T store sure I was going to pick up the Titan. After comparing the 2, it wasn't even that close. I thought the S was wayyyy smoother and lag free. I loved the S and the screen, the colors and the call quality. I love my S. The Titan is a great phone, but I really am a Focus S enthusiast.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend who says the call volume is a bit low. Could anyone please give me some feedback on your thoughts? Thanks

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Focus S Review - 7 months later

Sleek....Slim...dare I say beautiful? Released in November of 2011, alongside its larger sibling The HTC Titan, The Samsung Focus S was unveiled to the world delivering the best of what Windows Phone Mango had to offer. Packed with a fast 1.4 GHZ processer, a 4.3 Super Amoled Plus screen, an 8 MP Rear Camera and 1.3 MP front facer for video chat, the Focus S is arguably THE best all around device to own and one I have the privilage to call my own. 7 months later....it still doesnt fail to impress me.

In 7 months, this device has seen it all. A trip to Jamaica, theme parks, several drops onto tile, concrete and asphalt and constant use from a serious social networker such as myself. If anyone can honestly say they have put the Focus S through its paces, its me. And how has it faired? Aside from a nick here and there and some paint being scraped off the camera bezel, the Focus S still shines as she did on day 1. Add the fact that this phone has only been in a case for three weeks of its entire life, thats seriously saying something about its durability.

Speaking of the Hardware, I still find myself admiring the Focus S to this day. From the subtle curves that seem to be designed perfectly for my grasp to the near impenetrable.
4.3 gorilla glass screen, this phone screams high end, moreso than the Nokia 900 in my opinion, and with its proud Windows Phone label on the back panel, its seems that its very proud of that fact too. Adding to that, the thin, lightweight body easily slides into any pocket and many times, I cant even feel it's there at all. Overall, there is little to complain about here, Its a very well built and extremely elegant design.

Software wise, Mango operates very smooth and very fast with that 1.4 GHZ processer. Transitions, app switching, opening and closing apps, everything operates buttery smooth and bug free. While there is a well known issue with sound lag on typing, I have never experienced this so I cannot comment one way or another. The only issue that I have had is a disappearing keyboard but luckily, It has been at most, a mild inconvienence and a fix is on the way so my user experience has been top notch and extremely reliable!! Total number of resets? One.

Being one of the first official "4g" windows phones, At&T's network have been better than anticipated, (came from verizon) I have no issues with streaming netflix, smart dj on zune, youtube videos, and downloads off the marketplace are quick and painless. Connecting to Wifi, the Focus S truly shines delivering HQ streams and blazingly fast downloads with very little connection time. I have also been able to track my data and I can attest that when its connected to wifi, it stays connected. Call Quality has been excellent, though can be a little on the low side, volume wise. I have not experienced any drop calls and everyone sounds crisp and clear on both ends.

So all in all, the Focus S delivers on all fronts and most importantly, it does it with style elegance and grace. I give the Samsung Focus S a 10 out of 10 and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a superior Windows Phone that stands out among the rest. It was exclusive to the US so owning one puts you in a very select group of individuals. A group I am VERY happy to be a part of.

Pros:

Lightweight, Durable
Amazing Pictures
Beautiful Screen
Battery Life(with autobrightness enabled)
FFC

Cons:

Obsession over keeping it clean
Taking you away from friends/family because you cant put it down
Rendering other devices useless because it does it all
Can create a superiority complex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo