What are these holes on the Titan?

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just curious.. I took the back cover off and they have gold contacts in those positions.. anyone know what purpose they serve?

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Given that part of the phone, and specifically that part, is plastic, I'd guess that's roughtly where the WiFi and Celluar antennas are located. Why there are holes on the outside? I don't know.

jenashley

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I honestly didn't even notice them until this thread. Weird, I've never seen that before on any other device. Not on my HTC Arrive either.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I assumed they were mic holes, but I'm not sure. If I had to guess, the ones on the very top and bottom are for stereo recording and the one more towards the middle possibly for mono recording (when stereo is turned off) and possibly noise cancellation for calls? Just my guess.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember I had an HTC Aria at one point that had these 'contacts' on the inside of the case (which was exactly the same setup as the Titan). I asked over at xda devs and was informed that they were definitely antenna.

Actually, the theory went that this somehow supposedly improved reception, guess that ain't so on the Titan judging from peoples experiences.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You could stick needles there and have them work as external antenna!

Ok. Maybe not.

How about... maybe they're dimples. That's why the Titan is so cute.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, looking from the inside, I have a theory: those are leftovers from manuf of the device, connecting the trace/contacts on the inside of the case to the antennas inside. Somehow, they found it easier (or it makes a better solder joint) to punch it all the way through, instead of whatever they did in the past (I had an HTC Aria - my first android phone - with a similar design, abheit, with no holes that I remember [only found out about the antenna when I bought an eBay sourced cover that had none of the leads :(]).

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember I had an HTC Aria at one point that had these 'contacts' on the inside of the case (which was exactly the same setup as the Titan). I asked over at xda devs and was informed that they were definitely antenna.

Actually, the theory went that this somehow supposedly improved reception, guess that ain't so on the Titan judging from peoples experiences.

^This. They're def the contacts for the antennas. And I think this is also the area that suffers from the "grip of death" if you hold the phone in a way that covers these holes. At least that's been my experience.

Hopefully a case will help out with this.

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Just curious.. I took the back cover off and they have gold contacts in those positions.. anyone know what purpose they serve?
They're for the antennas - whether WiFi/BT or GSM, I don't know. There are two more on the top as well. If you take the cover off, you lose all cell connectivity.

rbmehta

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
What are these holes ont eh Titan?

They do seem like they are connected to the antenna.

I have two cases for the Titan. The case-mate barely there case which actually has holes in the same spot to align up with the Titan back.

The other is a cheap no name case from BW via Amazon marketplace and does not have the holes.

Will see if they make any difference in cell signal.

sfleuriet

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
They do seem like they are connected to the antenna.

I have two cases for the Titan. The case-mate barely there case which actually has holes in the same spot to align up with the Titan back.

The other is a cheap no name case from BW via Amazon marketplace and does not have the holes.

Will see if they make any difference in cell signal.
I've noticed that about various cases as well. However, all of my cheapo cases have those holes covered. Let us know if it makes any difference!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb