A little help with the firmware update

Heresy64

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
A little background. I recently purchased an unlocked US market Lumia 800 from Microsoft. You know, the overpriced Nokia bundle...but I had to have this phone, and I don't regret it.

However, I am concerned about the recent firmware update that's been rolling out and that it doesn't appear AT&T will be rolling it out to its customers. So, I decided to write Nokia USA tech support to see what they had to say.

Their response was lacking at best, idiotic at worst. So before I write them back and read them the Riot Act, I want to be sure I have my ducks in a row. I've posted a copy of my email and their response below. I'm hoping you very smart people on this forum can help me see the error in my ways or theirs.

My email:
I recently purchased an unlocked US-market Lumia 800 directly from Microsoft. I use AT&T as my carrier. Last week, I read that AT&T will not be putting out the recent 8107 update for their customers. Since I did not purchase the phone from AT&T, but from Microsoft, will I still not get the 8107 update, or is there another way for me to get it? I'm having a hard time understanding why AT&T would be releasing the Lumia 900 here in a couple of weeks, with all the updated software and firmware, yet refuse to send out the update for the 800. Can you help me understand?

Their response:
Thank you for emailing Nokia USA Careline.

In response to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that since Nokia Lumia 800 is not marketed in the US, then please be informed that currently we do not have information with regards to software update availability of the said Nokia. What we can suggest is that you contact Microsoft Windows directly as they are in the best position to assist you about the software update released.

For your convenience, we provided you the link below for Microsoft contact support:

Microsoft Support

You may also check Zune software to check if there is an available software update for your Nokia device. Please see the link below:

Update Windows Phone Software | Maximize Mobile Phone Performance | How to Update Windows Phone | Windows Phone 7

Also please be informed that Nokia Lumia 900 is intended for US market under AT&T then an update is entitled for this device as per subject for approval by its service provider. And since Nokia Lumia 900 and Nokia Lumia 800 are both different device, then update availability is based on many things, including existing Nokia device firmware version, country, and operator. It may be due to one of these variables that your Nokia device is yet to be eligible for a software update.

We hope for your understanding and consideration regarding this matter.

Any thoughts?

ChrisK91

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Since you bought an unbranded device you will receive every update rolled out by Nokia. You can check whether your phone is locked by the product code located on the sim-tray. Just google it and see what turns up. This product is used to check for updates and branded devices have different codes than unbranded ones.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
interesting... i have an unbranded L800, but from Taiwan instead and I have not received the update as well, going to reset my phone when I have time to see if that helps

bver100

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
A little background. I recently purchased an unlocked US market Lumia 800 from Microsoft. You know, the overpriced Nokia bundle...but I had to have this phone, and I don't regret it.

However, I am concerned about the recent firmware update that's been rolling out and that it doesn't appear AT&T will be rolling it out to its customers. So, I decided to write Nokia USA tech support to see what they had to say.

Their response was lacking at best, idiotic at worst. So before I write them back and read them the Riot Act, I want to be sure I have my ducks in a row. I've posted a copy of my email and their response below. I'm hoping you very smart people on this forum can help me see the error in my ways or theirs.

My email:
I recently purchased an unlocked US-market Lumia 800 directly from Microsoft. I use AT&T as my carrier. Last week, I read that AT&T will not be putting out the recent 8107 update for their customers. Since I did not purchase the phone from AT&T, but from Microsoft, will I still not get the 8107 update, or is there another way for me to get it? I'm having a hard time understanding why AT&T would be releasing the Lumia 900 here in a couple of weeks, with all the updated software and firmware, yet refuse to send out the update for the 800. Can you help me understand?

Their response:
Thank you for emailing Nokia USA Careline.

In response to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that since Nokia Lumia 800 is not marketed in the US, then please be informed that currently we do not have information with regards to software update availability of the said Nokia. What we can suggest is that you contact Microsoft Windows directly as they are in the best position to assist you about the software update released.

For your convenience, we provided you the link below for Microsoft contact support:

Microsoft Support

You may also check Zune software to check if there is an available software update for your Nokia device. Please see the link below:

Update Windows Phone Software | Maximize Mobile Phone Performance | How to Update Windows Phone | Windows Phone 7

Also please be informed that Nokia Lumia 900 is intended for US market under AT&T then an update is entitled for this device as per subject for approval by its service provider. And since Nokia Lumia 900 and Nokia Lumia 800 are both different device, then update availability is based on many things, including existing Nokia device firmware version, country, and operator. It may be due to one of these variables that your Nokia device is yet to be eligible for a software update.

We hope for your understanding and consideration regarding this matter.

Any thoughts?

I find it odd that you don't have the 8701 update - i got my lumia about 2 weeks ago (from europe, though) and i plugged it in to update first thing and it went directly to 8701. I am, however, now waiting for the 12070 update. I'd have thought the unlocked carrier-agnostic phones would be getting updates direct from Nokia

Heresy64

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the thoughts. I apparently do have the 8107 update.
My OS version is 7.10.8107.79
My firmware version is 1600.2483.8107.11501.

So what am I missing? I apparently have the 8107 update, which appears to be a Microsoft update, but missing the 12070 firmware update, which is a Nokia update. Am I understanding this correctly?

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the thoughts. I apparently do have the 8107 update.
My OS version is 7.10.8107.79
My firmware version is 1600.2483.8107.11501.

So what am I missing? I apparently have the 8107 update, which appears to be a Microsoft update, but missing the 12070 firmware update, which is a Nokia update. Am I understanding this correctly?
The 8107 update was bundled with the version of firmware that you have currently. All new handsets will always come with the most up to date version of OS and Firmware, which at the time, yours did.

The very latest firmware is .12070 which as you say is a Nokia update. This means that you should receive the update through Zune when it becomes available in your region, although you can just as easily force the update using the guide that Dave Blake posted.

I have an unbranded 800 on Vodafone UK, I'm at all sure if the carrier has an impact on the delivery of firmwares though. It's more idiotic on AT&T's part because if you were to go to their store and buy a brand new 800 or any Windows Phone from them it would come with 8107 on it, so I'm really not sure what their issue is with pushing it to customers who don't have it already.

Heresy64

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I plugged my phone into my computer and voila, the 12070 update popped up as available, so I installed it. I guess that answers my question. Thanks for everyone's help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa