The big push we've been waiting for

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been following these forums since last July. One of the most frequently commented on subjects has been the need for a major advertising push.
Well, how about a $200 million ad campaign for a great phone, at a great price, on a major network, in the worlds most lucrative and difficult to crack market.
Nokia is all in. Microsoft has shown some flexibility in it's stated timeline by allowing LTE earlier than expected. The reviews have generally been good.
Lets hope this will do for Windows Phone what the Droid campaign did for Android. Veterans of the site remember, a lot of new users will be coming here for help. There are no stupid questions, stay helpful and positive when responding.
Even though I'm sticking with my Focus S, I am seriously excited about this.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
this could definitely be a big push its timed well before the galaxyS3 and the iPhone5 arrive it could raise awareness and maybe steal some of their waiting upgradables

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
this could definitely be a big push its timed well before the galaxyS3 and the iPhone5 arrive it could raise awareness and maybe steal some of their waiting upgradables

Anybody who's serious about android/iphone that may use an upgrade for this will simply turn around and either A) Sell lumia for retail, and pay retail for GS3/IP5 B) Wait for said devices to come out and use full upgrade, C) early upgrade.

No offense to Microsoft or Nokia, but the Lumia is still not quite "there" to take any significant chunk out of the market share.

I like the lumia as a device, sure. But it's still missing a lot of the application quality for a lot of people out there, and is my main point of dislike in any Windows Phone. I for one, will be snagging a GS3 up for my personal device, and I will consider keeping the lumia on my work line. That is unless work throws a GS3 at me for free.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Anybody who's serious about android/iphone that may use an upgrade for this will simply turn around and either A) Sell lumia for retail, and pay retail for GS3/IP5 B) Wait for said devices to come out and use full upgrade, C) early upgrade.

No offense to Microsoft or Nokia, but the Lumia is still not quite "there" to take any significant chunk out of the market share.

I like the lumia as a device, sure. But it's still missing a lot of the application quality for a lot of people out there, and is my main point of dislike in any Windows Phone. I for one, will be snagging a GS3 up for my personal device, and I will consider keeping the lumia on my work line. That is unless work throws a GS3 at me for free.

neither of the phones you mentioned will be 99...they could also say wow i can get fast performance even though it only has 1 core...why do i need so much power again?

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

Droid was never going to succeed either....I guess why bother trying then.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Anyone who's serious about Android/iPhone is going to get an Android or iPhone. A lot of people are going to check out the 900 during this sales push who aren't set on the having one of the 'big 2'.

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Once you create the awareness, that would lead to curiosity. For the first time, I've seen the Nokia Lumia covered by major news networks like Fox 5 in NY and ABC News where they have reviewed this phone and gave +ve ratings.

I saw this level of coverage for a Windows Phone the fist time. Usually only iPhone use to get this for every launch and Android got it when they lunched the G1.

I've also seen quite a few posts for the first time where people claim they are moving from iPhone and Android devices.

So here is hoping to make a dent in the market capture. The Apps would follow automatically.. :blush:

rjansen3

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand everyone's obsession obsession with pointing out that some marketplaces aren't as big as others. Coming from BlackBerry that is all people used to say when they would start losing a debate over whether or not my BlackBerry was better than what they had. The fact is, apps don't matter that much. People think they care about them because, like the spec race, this demand has been artificially created by iOS and Android. The truth is, despite the size of the marketplace, people still download about the same amount of apps. Here is a study that shows evidence of this... Consumers ignore most apps on their smartphones . iOS and Android might have a huge selection, sure, but the quality of that selection leaves something to be desired. Anyway, I hope that this ad campaign focuses on the things that actually matter in a smartphone. The ability of our WP devices to get so much done without ever having to touch the marketplace, and the ease with which these things are accomplished.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
What WP/Nokia needs, is a champion. We need a "Steve Jobs" to step up and drive the phone and the OS. Ballmer and Elop...meh...

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

What? Why would anyone serious about iPhone or Android even buy a Lumia?

No offense to Microsoft or Nokia, but the Lumia is still not quite "there" to take any significant chunk out of the market share..

Thats only one opinion yours only time will tell if Nokia can gain traction with this device. If we can keep the speck wars out of it and bring pure User Experience to the table my opinion says Apple and Android will lose that fight with consumers.

"application quality" Are you kidding me Windows Phone apps are far superior to the majority of Android apps and the Metro design in Windows Phone far surpasses the hum drum of Apples IOS. Again this is just one opinion mine.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the big push is going to affect mostly android users, people are tired of the fragmentation and the disorganized mess that comes with owning an android device.
I love gadgets, but over the past couple years that tablets have been out, i find myself less and less wanting to mess with my phone, i want it to work fast and trouble free. More as if i get in, get what i need and get out.

I just don't see iphone owners (any that i know) jumping ship for windows.
And i see android users as people who didn't want the iphone but had no other choice until now.

For the record, i own an asus eee pad, while it's ok, the simplicity of my $100 hp touchpad is what i prefer most often.
Why did i buy the eee pad originally? I don't like apple and all the proprietary crap that comes with owning an apple device.
While i probably wouldn't have bought an hp touchpad for anywhere near original price, at $99 how could i not?
I see the lumia 900 the same way, for $99 (or less in most cases) it's worth the experimental risk to me.

Currently i use an n900, so the lumia 900 should be the opposite end of the spectrum.
I'm going from complicated to what is said to be very simplistic, hopefully we will see tomorrow, if i'm lucky.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

You figured me out. If I don't like the Lumia or WP7 I plan to sell it and my iPhone 4. With the money from that I should be able to get the iPhone 6 (remember the iPhone 4S IS the 5th gen. iPhone) for at most the subsidized price.

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I just don't see iphone owners (any that i know) jumping ship for windows.

I'm one - and if i'm not mistaken, one of the many jumping ships from iOS to WP7. Now you know atleast one. and trust me, there are thousands, if not millions, out there who are sick and tired for whatever reason.

And having a customer like me is like winning a jackpot to any company, because I dont believe in owning products from hundred different sources. If I chose an ecosystem, i embrace it completely. Ex: PC MS PC, MS tablet, ditching iTunes for zune , ditching chrmose for ie9, ditching google docs for skydrive - and yeah, other than zune, i have probably switched everything else. And I knew i would be swicthing to zune pass once I get my phone, so in the last three months, I haven't bought a single music file/album from iTunes.
I'm still searching for a good replacement for google reader. Then, I'll be all set. thats what i mean by completely embracing an ecosystem. If a google fanatic can do that, so can we as MS ecosystem supporters.

sorry, most of the rant was off topic - but the big push by Nokia/MS will not just benefit in WP7 dept, but across the board for MS.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Will Nokia the Lunia 900 and the add campaign that fallows help push Windows Phone as an OS? This forums is sitting at 244 members on line right now a week ago at this time we were at half that. The Lumia 900 isn't even in peoples hands yet and the add campaign hasn't even started. We will have to wait and see what the future holds for Windows Phone but if this is the kind of attention that Nokia brings to the party I'm happy with it.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm one - and if i'm not mistaken, one of the many jumping ships from iOS to WP7. Now you know atleast one. and trust me, there are thousands, if not millions, out there who are sick and tired for whatever reason.

And having a customer like me is like winning a jackpot to any company, because I dont believe in owning products from hundred different sources. If I chose an ecosystem, i embrace it completely. Ex: PC MS PC, MS tablet, ditching iTunes for zune , ditching chrmose for ie9, ditching google docs for skydrive - and yeah, other than zune, i have probably switched everything else. And I knew i would be swicthing to zune pass once I get my phone, so in the last three months, I haven't bought a single music file/album from iTunes.
I'm still searching for a good replacement for google reader. Then, I'll be all set. thats what i mean by completely embracing an ecosystem. If a google fanatic can do that, so can we as MS ecosystem supporters.

sorry, most of the rant was off topic - but the big push by Nokia/MS will not just benefit in WP7 dept, but across the board for MS.

I am exactly the same way, I completely embrace the ecosystem. Ever since I got an Android device, I completely went apesh-t on Google. Got myself into Google Plus, I have 29 gmail accounts over all, I use Google Reader... and so forth. However, I've always been into the MS ecosystem as well. I had an Xbox 360, I use Windows PC, and I had a Zune, and still use Zune desktop software for my media player. I use Google Chrome, because I need my extensions.... if IE had extensions/addons... I would jump ship immediately.

That's going to be a big issue for me, is when and if I ever do switch to WP is going to be the fact that I primarily use Gmail/Google for everything. I have 1 old out of date email address that's clouded with old history that I'd love to forget, that I use for my Xbox Live account. If I change the email, it's just going to follow me... and I could never change my email address on my Xbox live account. I'll definitely make the switch, but it's going to be tough.. but worth it.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Welcome! Nextgen and Wonder Reader are both good Google reader apps.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

You're a tiny minority-- ChangeWave poll finds 96% of users satisfied with iPhone 4S - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech and only millions by virtue of Apple's enormous number of customers.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I know it's partially my fault but it's time to stop the off topic posting in this thread. I tried to get us back on topic a couple of posts up but it didn't work. Any off topic post after this one will be removed so don't bother.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I know it's partially my fault but it's time to stop the off topic posting in this thread. I tried to get us back on topic a couple of posts up but it didn't work. Any off topic post after this one will be removed so don't bother.

TL : DR - Campaign/sell the core features in advertisements, and show that WP is a BETTER choice.

To the topic then! I think the push needed is more quality then quantity apps, bigger name brand apps (Pandora.. etc)... and MS/Nokia dumping pretty much every dollar into an overzealous ad campaign. Main reason people don't want to switch from iOS/Android is because of apps, due to the fact that most people are still in app crazy mode. When they don't want to bother finding replacements/alternatives. I guarantee if people stopped looking at phone specifications, and the number of apps in the market... and looked at the OS, the Metro UI, Live Tiles, and other core features like integrated social networks, text message threads, and other stuff that IMO blow competitors out the water... they'd have a genuine case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon