At&t claims my phone can't be sim unlocked because of Nokia restriction

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have off contract Lumia from amazon on straight talk, I called at&t to unlock the sim and they claim they can't get the unlock code because of a restriction by Nokia and that the earliest I can get it is end of this year. Does anyone know more about this, I feel this is an at&t restriction and not from Nokia. Would Nokia have the unlock codes?

I told the rep. that it didn't make sense to me and I feel it is an at&t restriction. The rep did not confirm or deny that, simply stated she can understand.

kalex

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
yes its att restriction not nokia and as usual reps are clueless. its similar to iphones before they changed their tune. Use to be when u call att to ask for unlock of iphone they would promptly tell u that apple does unlocking and when u call apple they say att is responsible.

I'm actually on straight talk too and would love to get mine unlocked. It will eventually be available

feedmylittletroll

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
ATT has the unlock codes. I called the international department at ATT and said explicitly that ATT will not give out lock codes because of the exclusivity contract with Nokia. They said call back in 3-6months and they might give it out by then.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
ATT does not have unlock codes laying around..They request them from the manufactuer which is Nokia...

There is an att policy that unlock codes will not be provided if a phone is exclusive and not active for 90 days...Since it is exclusive no unlock until Nokia starts giving them out...

I've gone through unlocks for both ATT and Tmobile and they have to provide you the unlock codes if requested as long as you meet the criteria. For both carriers, usually you need to have the phone active on a line for 90 days. Every blue moon some derp rep will request an unlock code before the 90 days, but very rare...Odds are, you are not getting a code for awhile directly from ATT, especially an exclusive phone like the 900.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
ATT does not have unlock codes laying around..They request them from the manufactuer which is Nokia...

There is an att policy that unlock codes will not be provided if a phone is exclusive and not active for 90 days...Since it is exclusive no unlock until Nokia starts giving them out...

I've gone through unlocks for both ATT and Tmobile and they have to provide you the unlock codes if requested as long as you meet the criteria. For both carriers, usually you need to have the phone active on a line for 90 days. Every blue moon some derp rep will request an unlock code before the 90 days, but very rare...Odds are, you are not getting a code for awhile directly from ATT, especially an exclusive phone like the 900.

My first TITAN that I got from an event in Phoenix about a week before it was released in stores, I wanted to use with T-Mobile. At the time I didn't have AT&T service, so I called AT&T. They went through this whole big deal about how the phone wasn't released yet so there was no way I could get an unlock code from them. So I tried the paid route online, and they couldn't get me the code either. Finally, I complained to HTC themselves. At first, it was a he said, she said match between them and AT&T. Eventually I submitted a negative review on an HTC survey of their web site. I got a call the next day, and explained to the woman my dilemma. She said she'd call me back within an hour, and she did, with the unlock code. I was satisfied with my experience after that lol.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was about to post that site, I've unlocked probably six different phones through them. None of them the 900 but I did plug my 900 IMEI in and it came back that they could do it. I didn't because I don't need to.

feedmylittletroll

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Nobody has successfully carrier unlocked an ATT Lumia 900. There is a long thread on xda about the different sites that have refunded peoples money because they can't get an unlock code.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I actually tried cellunlocker before calling att. They refunded me, said they don't have a code.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually just got off the phone with AT&T a few hours ago, and they've agreed to unlock my Lumia 900... haven't got the unlock code yet so I can't confirm it to be real.

I bought it at the no-commitment price, and had to sweet talk the rep for a while, and he literally went back to his supervisor a total of 4 times before finally agreeing to help me unlock. He said he submitted an unlock request, and that it should processed within 5-7 business days.

I will update this thread again if I get more details.

donna199

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
its att restriction not nokia and as usual reps are clueless

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I call bs. Didn't AT&T try to pin some lame excuse for how apple was denying iPhone users unlocks, so much do it tool a direct request from the apple CEO to convince AT&T otherwise?

Also while AT&T tries to push its high expensive overseas plans... As of their domestic prices weren't already high enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes