Has anyone gotten SD card working right with 20GB+ of music on XBOX Music app?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, even with Portico I still can't get XBOX music to behave properly with 20GB+ music on the SD card. Tried reformatting, different cards, etc. I get missing song titles, freezes, etc when using the SD card. Personally, my thought is that it is a problem with the app, as the same app has so many other problems.

But I am curious, how many have gotten XBOX Music on the 822 working with 20GB+ of music stored on SD card? Or are most of you experiencing the same problems still?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what method u are using to get songs on SD-card.

If u are syncing Via Windows Phone app or some software , high chances of having duplicates.

Best way to avoid all issues is format SD-card , pull it out and use a card reader , copy-paste whole music.Always remember to use "remove SD-card" option in phone storage before removing (even though u switch off phone for that)

If u are still facing issues , reset the phone.

I had so many issues in first month but once after i reset my phone and sd-card once , zero problems.

Music player lags when selecting a song from whole songs list but it doesn't lag when u select song inside an album or short list.Other than that no issues.

Copy-Paste method and My music is around 12 GB - No issues , duplicates , bugs from 2 months

EDIT : my SD-card now has like 30 gb worth of videos and 7 gb videos/pics from camera roll , 11 gb of music and 3 gb of photos.
Only music player is slow and that too when selecting song from whole list , no issues with videos.

jg45

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what method u are using to get songs on SD-card.

If u are syncing Via Windows Phone app or some software , high chances of having duplicates.

Best way to avoid all issues is format SD-card , pull it out and use a card reader , copy-paste whole music.Always remember to use "remove SD-card" option in phone storage before removing (even though u switch off phone for that)

If u are still facing issues , reset the phone.

I had so many issues in first month but once after i reset my phone and sd-card once , zero problems.

Music player lags when selecting a song from whole songs list but it doesn't lag when u select song inside an album or short list.Other than that no issues.

Copy-Paste method and My music is around 12 GB - No issues , duplicates , bugs from 2 months

EDIT : my SD-card now has like 30 gb worth of videos and 7 gb videos/pics from camera roll , 11 gb of music and 3 gb of photos.
Only music player is slow and that too when selecting song from whole list , no issues with videos.

What brand and type of SD card are you using?

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with lags before which was over 10gb of music, all from mixed sources (iTunes, previous wmp purchases, Zune). I did a music collection cleanup yesterday because my phone was showing duplicates, as in all files were duplicated. So I had to redownload all the songs from Xbox music, only 6gb now coz I had to cut off a few hundred songs because they sound stupid now. Anyway now I don't get lag, so I assume its the tags that keeps the player from lagging.

Felbrigge Psalter

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Do you have to repeat this process every time you want to add music?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
OK so I tried this again. I did not reset the device as I find that to be a last resort.

What I did different:
I re-encoded ALL of the files with LAME @ 128kbps MP3 to ensure no corrupt mp3 streams, and attempted to eliminate any files with broken metadata. I also deleted all of the files in the hidden artist/album folders in the 822 and fully cleared the songs from the internal memory of the device. XBOX CLOUD disabed.

After loading nearly 10,000 songs on a 64gb UHS-1 Sandisk MicroSDXC, I put the card in. It took a while for XBOX Music to load the files in.

So far I have noticed the following behaviors:
1) The phone no longer appears to freeze, however it seems a bit slower at some tasks at times
2) XBOX Music sometimes randomly closes, but it can be re-opened
3) Navigating the menus in XBOX music is significantly more sluggish than when using internal memory only - even after metadata was fully populated.
4) Not having any issues with duplicate filenames
5) 1080p videos record on the SD card, but about every 30-60sec there are slight stutters in the video, which I read was normal in another thread with the current firmware.

Note I also tested two other 64gb cards and a class 4 32gb card - none of them worked as smoothly as using the internal phone memory.

Hopefully Nokia's next FW update or XBOX Music/video app update can improve the performance to make XBOX Music navigate faster and completely eliminate video stutters.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss