Got 822 after S3 data issues

russ8128

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
So after a VZW update made my S3 nearly unusable last week i figured I try a new device. Mind you I loved the S3 and had no thoughts of getting a new device. I complained to VZW just like everyone else but I need a working device that I can access emails and make phone calls with. Unfortunately i had no old device at home (my HTC Rezound went to Samsung in their deal a year ago $220....). So i went searching on eBay for a relatively newly released device that i could use while this software nonsense gets rectified. Of course I could root but that is just not my thing. Anyway, I found a gently used Nokia Lumia 822 (released in the fall) for just under $100. It's 4G and a mid-range device but I was always curious about the Windows Phone OS and figured why not. I got it last night and popped in the SIM card (so easy!!). I use Windows 8 already on my computer so i understand the Metro UI. So far it's a nice phone. Not S3 nice but i wasn't expecting a top end device. At least it connects and gets data!! Phone quality is really good. The 3 or 4 calls I made last night were rock solid and nice and loud. I downloaded a bunch of apps (not everyone of my go apps were in the store - a common complaint) but I got most of them. I'm interested to try out the Nokia navigation to see how it compares with Waze & Google maps (another issue I've been having with my S3 is GPS lock - used to be perfect and instantaneous now spotty at best). Going to miss my Google Now a lot and much of the Google integration with my life but change is good and maybe i'll be back on my S3 once the update issues are fixed. Any recommendations from the experts here? Thanks!!

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations on your Lumia 822. Despite what you may hear here on the forums, I feel as though Nokia manufacturing and build quality is -the- best in smartphones currently. The Lumia 822 is certainly no plastic brick like the S3, S4 or Galaxy Note 2. It feels like a premium device even if its specs don't quite match up. One thing should note is that Windows Phone 8 doesn't meet the hardware requirements of android, thus you're able to slip buy with a smaller processor with less cores, less RAM and the like.

Personally, I alternate between a Note 2 and my 822/928. Unfortunately, I find that Windows Phone does NOT offer the same utility as my Note 2. As a working professional, the S-Note software is impeccable for taking notes, writing reports, and editing powerpoints. The multi-window feature is precious for email and collaboration, and the speakerphone is remarkably fantastic.

My Lumia 822, as I think most Windows Phones, is a social device. The camera is nothing to laugh at. The fluidity and simplicity of the UI is deliciously refreshing and I generally find the entire experience rather charming. It doesn't, however, fully meet my expectations for productivity. While you do get access to MS Office and One Note, writing on such a small screen is not ideal.

The antenna on the Lumia 822 is also really good. My note 2 will struggle to keep a 4g connection at times, while my Lumia 822 never seems to.

In other words, you've made a great investment for sub-100$. I hope you enjoy Windows Phone and decide to stick around for the long-run.:)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
... One thing should note is that Windows Phone 8 doesn't meet the hardware requirements of android, thus you're able to slip buy with a smaller processor with less cores, less RAM and the like. ...
Windows Phone 8 doesn't NEED the hardware requirements of android. The OS is fast, fluid, and fun.
Welcome to Windows Phone.

Regarding productivity, we use our WP8 phones with Office 365 P1 (Small Business). Our business documents available at work, on our phones, at home, and on any internet connected computer. What could be better.

Admittedly, I do miss typing (creating documents) on my Windows Mobile 6 HTC TouchPro2's slide out physical keyboard. It was the very best. Key placement, touch, and feedback all combined to allow fast document creation, and the keys were backlit! The screen was smaller than my Lumia 822, but every bit of it was for viewing the document.

Best wishes with your new phone. If you give it a chance, it will amaze you as you discover new aspects that make you smile.

russ8128

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for well wishes. I am also on Office 365 and can see how it connected to our services including Lync 2013, Sharepoint and Skydrive. Cool...

I usually have extra batteries for all of my phones (hate the extended battery deal...new "fake" batteries from Amazon are cheap and I've found good success with them). I haven't bought any yet but i probably will (some of them are sub $10). I usually buy Anker products - their customer service is awesome, but they don't make 822 batteries so I'm left with Hyperion and Onbrite. Any thoughts?

Just as an FYI. Battery is at 80% 3+ hrs off charge...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've carried extra batteries for all my past phones. I was surprised by your comment. It made me realize that I was going to buy an extra battery 8 months ago when I received my Lumia 822. I forgot. I haven't needed one? I do charge the phone when it's easy (at my desk, on long trips in the car.). I think I'll buy one.

russ8128

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
One newbie question...why does the phone take so long to charge? When I got it last night the battery was dead.. To charge it fully seemed to take hours. Is this normal?

russ8128

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
So I"m staying..... I downloaded the S3 update and went back to it for a couple of days. But i missed the Lumia. Battery life is excellent, using it is simple and the phone just works better. Some of the apps that Google has I'll miss but W8 is rock solid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett