Why the is the Lumia 521 physically longer than the 520?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Dare I say that the 520 looks so much cleaner and 'proportionate'? Why did the 521 have to be longer? For folks that got the 521 without the T-Mobile logo, is the phone still longer than the 520 model?

jjzZP43.jpg

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
My 521, bought at the T-Mobile store a few weeks ago, and without the T-Mo logo is 124 mm long, measured from the outer edges of the case.

Timeslicing

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It is probably because extra space is needed to fit the extra set of antenna the 521 has that the 520 doesn't. I seriously doubt Nokia and TMobile did it to fit the branding.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Ive notice underneath the camera there appears to be something like a microphone(?) or light sensor on my 521 (and the shell has a small notch under the camera for it). I havent seen a 520 with the cover off, so i dont know for sure, but from the pictures ive seen, the 520 doesnt have that. I also know the 521 has hardware thats compatible with Wifi calling (GEN3 IMS) and also supports more cellular frequencies (since TMO has 1 - 2 extra frequencies due to ATT monopolization of the others they use). Perhaps this "mic" or "snesor", along with the variation of hardware, is what caused its added height?

And you may find the 520 cleaner and more proportionate, nut i think the 521 looks slimmer and cleaner. I also know that its extra height keeps me from bumping the hardware touch buttons (search, and possibly the windows key) with my palm, and ive seen a few other 521 owners state the same around the forums.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
We can state all we want, but my theory is that this was done for ergonomics.

Well, T-Mobile probably wanted the branding, so you might as well make it convenient to users. In this case, think of the 1/3-2/3 bezel approach of the Lumia 620 and 920.

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Maybe that is why my samsung exhibit 2 4g looks bigger/wider than the 521.

My exhibit is wider and the 521 is longer.
This is just from looking at it at tmobile and the screen seemed smaller even though it is not.
3.7 vs. 4.0

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay so while my data connection was down, Perhaps this is some evidence, Internally

I looked over the FCC 521 Pics (Select Internal Photos)

Download in 520 Service Manual. go to Page 11

Visual Pic of Internal showing difference between 520 and 521.
Where the camera is located at on the 521. To the Right of the Camera Lens itself some type of sensor, On the 520 does not exist. So that extra notch right below camera on shell is for something after all.

The extra length on 521 probably comes from this. One of Chips along the bottom is arranged differently on the 521 then it is on the 520.
On 521 is running left to right. On 520 you can see that is running up and down.

You can tell from the pics that 521 board is different than the 520. Notice the notch on the 521 right above that chip running left to right, not on the 520.

Now the Mystery Is Solved I believe

your thoughts.

I would post edited images from the pdf but they are copyrighted.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
so its a sensor. I couldn't tell if it was some extra mic (someone around the forums or comments, either/or, suggested such) or a sensor when I took off the battery cover.

Im guessing its some kind of light sensor? Perhaps the 521 has slightly improved on the 520's camera for light sensing, seeing as it has no flash?

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
As you can read here, is because of the t mobile logo

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7177/nokia-lumia-521

anandtech is one of the most reliable and unbiased tech sites.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Its a light sensor and I like that the t - mo logo kinda elevates the screen. Making me wonder what they put to fill the extra space inside the phone and not just put the logo.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
cckgz4 - I got a nice silicone rubber case from an ebay seller called my_gadgetgarage $4.95 w/free shipping. It fits my 521 like a glove.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay so while my data connection was down, Perhaps this is some evidence, Internally

I looked over the FCC 521 Pics (Select Internal Photos)

Download in 520 Service Manual. go to Page 11

Visual Pic of Internal showing difference between 520 and 521.
Where the camera is located at on the 521. To the Right of the Camera Lens itself some type of sensor, On the 520 does not exist. So that extra notch right below camera on shell is for something after all.

The extra length on 521 probably comes from this. One of Chips along the bottom is arranged differently on the 521 then it is on the 520.
On 521 is running left to right. On 520 you can see that is running up and down.

You can tell from the pics that 521 board is different than the 520. Notice the notch on the 521 right above that chip running left to right, not on the 520.

Now the Mystery Is Solved I believe

your thoughts.

I would post edited images from the pdf but they are copyrighted.

You are talking about this right?

oBZ4IQ0.png

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Correct, that small sensor is not present on the 520. That Notch has well right above the chip running left to right.

From what I looked at on FCC site the 521 went through twice, the first time was in Feb right around when 520 went through, boards where identical. But in March the 521 went back through
FCC testing with a board from above.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
But that shouldn't affect the LENGTH, right? :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4

Actually, it can. If, on the 520, the circuit board (where the gap begins) stopped directly underneath the camera, that sensor adds, well, the sensors length, to the device. Meaning it appears that the 521's added length is for a camera improvement (light sensor, which is needed, seeing as there's no flash, so low light is key), not just some silly branding (which I personally like).

[SUP][SUP]"sent from my nexus 4" . . . . . . .[/SUP][/SUP]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon