Nokia Lumia 2520 - Who's getting one?

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar thing happen to me at a Verizon Store, they insisted that I sign up for the data plan, so I did, then I called Verizon the same day and they disconnected my device and refunded me the 35$ activation fee. So net cost was 499$ Lastly just for fun I pulled out my sim cars from my Verizon phone and pit it in the 2520 worked perfect.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Received mine today via USPS from ATT. Put everything thru it's paces and found no issues at this time. Everything works...everything. First impressions...love it, love it, love it. No issues with the microSD card.

jpmfan

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
had my first hands-on with it after work today (went straight to the nearest John Lewis). I'm really really impressed, worried a bit with all the problems that people are posting on the device but hoping they are all fixed soon with a patch.

Screen is just incredible, was surprised (even with the massive security tether on the back in the middle) how light it felt (currently got a 1st gen iPad), also felt really nice and slim, can't see why some of the reviewers have complained about the edges. did feel a little bit of flex in the middle of the back in the plastic. Overall though I'm sold, got a similar feeling when I picked it up and used it to the first time I picked up an iPad back in 2009. A matte black one will do just fine for a present this Christmas.

JimmyRandall

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Had an email from Nokia this morning that its released here (uk) and ordered it the same time, have hated my iPad since ios 7. This will be a lovely change.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Very disappointed in the lack of available apps. The touch screen is nonresponsive and lagging on various websites. The fact that Nokia can't release a keyboard accessory in a timely manner, while having several months preparation, tells me that they probably won't be able to support the device properly. I am curious to see how they plan to deal with the lock screen issues. But still, several months to release a keyboard has fail written all over it.

John Wiskowski

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Very disappointed in the lack of available apps. The touch screen is nonresponsive and lagging on various websites. The fact that Nokia can't release a keyboard accessory in a timely manner, while having several months preparation, tells me that they probably won't be able to support the device properly. I am curious to see how they plan to deal with the lock screen issues. But still, several months to release a keyboard has fail written all over it.

In my experience, IE 11 is the culprit and not the Lunia 2520. Some sites just don't play nice. But it isn't always consistent. Zomming in or out before tapping helps some of the time. And there is always Desktop IE.

I also feel the keyboard accessory will let many people down. It is simply too small to be useful and the trackpad looks dreadful. I plan to review one at some point, but Info t expect much. If you can't be happy with touch, you should probably be using something else.

Drehood

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I stopped by a local AT&T store yesterday to get one but they had none in stock so they ordered one. I was disappointed that they only had black but since I didn't want to wait for different colors to be available I just went with it. I guess this means I'll just have to get a black Lumia 1520 to replace my white Lumia 920.

Samantha Dennett

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I picked this tablet up through a promotion at ATT when I got my Lumia 1020 cell. I've had it since 12/26. It takes some getting used to, but I find I am starting to prefer it over my ipad. Screen size is great and is lovely to look at. On screen keyboard is nicely sized and very responsive. There's plenty of memory and if you have a keyboard cover, this can double as day to day machine that can be toted around. I'm a gamer, but my gaming laptop isn't even remotely portable in that respect so this will good for me when I'm on the go.

Regarding the Nokia Power Keyboard. . . it may be a hefty price, but it will definitely be well worth it for me to get. Keyboard, extra battery, touch pad and two full-sized USB ports all melded into a cover that goes over the whole tablet. . . . big plus. Once I can plug a mouse (or a wireless toggle) into the usb, this really will make it worth it to me.

I find the Modern Apps are pretty good, just need a little finagling considering they're fairly new for Microsoft and there isn't as many offerings. I'm a gmailer, so the fact that syncing by gmail is no longer supported is a big issue, especially since finding work around apps is a little more difficult. But working apps are out there and I'm working with a combo of the Windows Mail,Calendar, People (which are tied together) and the Gmail Calendar app (which has a low rating based on dates from awhile ago but I find works really well). Working in Windows RT and being able to also access the normal Desktop doesn't really bother me. It's again about getting used to working in a different format. On the plus, being that this has Microsoft Office (in some fashion), I'm super happy. I was never able to get comfortable with the Ipad word processing apps.

Overall I'm quite pleased.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I want one but am going for the surface 2 as Nokia cant be bothered to actually launch the power cover they advertised 6 weeks ago.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Went in to a MS store today in Austin looking for the Venue 8 pro. First time I've seen the 2520 in person, picked it up and ran it through some apps. All I could say was wow, that screen is phenomenal looking. Green with envy, I kept comparing it to my Surface RT. I was so tempted to pick one up. If I didn't already own the surface rt and type cover and if Nokia had their keyboard available, probably would have purchased.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It looks like they just dropped the price $100 for the non contract 2520 at the Microsoft Store, to $399. Now it gets interesting.

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
Had it... Returned it.... Got my surface pro back.... Wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Backlight bleeding, lack of power keyboard availability and grease magnet display glass were deal breakers for me

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Returned my Venue 8 pro today and picked up the 2520. The VP8 was nice and thin and light, but I am convinced that Win8.1 in desktop mode on an 8" screen is too frustrating for me. Maybe I'm too old and my eyesight is too poor or my fat fingers are the problem. Who knows, but trying to hit the X button or the Min/Max window button in the upper right on the 8" screen got the best of me.
Ill give the 2520 a go for a bit.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Not looking good so far. My first experience hasn't been great. Opened the box and was all excited to get started, first there was no SIM I'm the box, second the battery was completely drained and after I plugged it in and got enough charge to turn on and start the setup, I was greeted with a screen that you normally see when restoring the device. Wondering if it was a returned unit and was being resold to me as new. So I proceeded to go through the steps and set it up, this unit had horrible light bleed issues. Willing to look past this, I charged the device all night, unplugged it and put my backpack looking forward to using it today. About 4 hours after unplugging and heading off for the day, went to wake the device and start doing some work on it, completely dead again. I mean totally drained. Since I left the charger at home after anticipating the workhorse battery performance, had to wait till I was home again before charging it for use. As soon as I could, charged it completely, restored to factory and repackaged for return tomorrow at the MS store. What a downer. I am hoping this is just a fluke.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
<snip> As soon as I could, charged it completely, restored to factory and repackaged for return tomorrow at the MS store. What a downer. I am hoping this is just a fluke.
I snipped most of your post to keep my reply a bit cleaner. Man - that is a terrible experience and I'm really sorry to hear that you've had it that bad with your 2520. I would do a return/exchange and make sure that they give you a brand-new tablet.. open it right there. A new tablet should have about 15-25% charge on it to get you started. As for the SIM card: that won't come in the box with the tablet any more than it would come in a box for a phone. The SIM is provided by the wireless provider. What "should" be in the box is found here:

Nokia Lumia 2520 Specifications - Nokia - USA

"

• What?s in the box
    • Box
      • Sales Package: Nokia Lumia 2520, Nokia Wall Charger AC-300, Printed material, SIM Door Key

"

Does that help?

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
The one I purchased from ATT had the sim card pre installed. It is now returned and my surface pro albeit heavier is back in service crushing anything the 2520 could do... And yes I need to tether to get mobile data, but to be honest it isn't as big an inconvenience as light bleed, no accessories and grease magnet display was

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
To "captblaze":

I'm striking my original comment because it was poorly-worded and unfortunately snarkier than I intended. My concluding comment was genuine and sincere, so I will leave that intact

"Please do be happy with your tablet. I certainly love my 2520. :)"

I am sorry that your experience with the 2520 was frustrating and do hope that you find contentment with your old tablet.

Last edited:

vnarra63

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I just went to Microsoft store online (USA) and found that they have a $100 discount on the "No Contract Nokia 2520" for both AT&T and Verizon versions. They also have the Black Power keyboard for AT&T for sale for $149.99. I just bought both the tablet and the keyboard for $549 +Tax.
Hope it works well.

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm glad that you're happy with your Pro. Not everyone wants the cost of that device. There are workarounds for most of the complaints that you just leveled - but really, that's not important.

Please do be happy with your tablet. I certainly love my 2520. :)

I wanted to like the 2520, but unfortunately for Nokia I only had 14 days to make up my mind. I would have been ok with the micro USB port if the keyboard was available during my 14 day return period. I would have been ok with the lack of oleo phobic coating on the display had the keyboard been available during my 14 day return period. I even would have accepted windows RT and its limitations had Nokia made an honest attempt at providing a decent supply of accessories during my 14 day return period.

And as for cost... A few weeks ago you could purchase a first gen surface pro for $499.00 US which matches the price of the 2520, and if you include the cost of the keyboard is actually cheaper than the 2520 and its non existent (during my 14 day return period) keyboard. So, yes going back to my old stand by works best for me and my fixed income.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes