HTC 8S - end of support

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I woke up this morning and saw a statement from HTC that they won't release GDR1 update for my/our HTC 8S device.

Possible reason for not having the GDR1 update is low internal storage that 8S has. But does this mean Nokia Lumia 530 won't receive update too?

Anyway we will get official 8.1 update which includes Cortana, but no further updates.

I'm totally disappointed on HTC with their statement. So I'm asking you currently users of 8S for advice and where are you heading to? I assume you will stay with HTC...

mjes201

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I woke up this morning and saw a statement from HTC that they won't release GDR1 update for my/our HTC 8S device.

Possible reason for not having the GDR1 update is low internal storage that 8S has. But does this mean Nokia Lumia 530 won't receive update too?

Anyway we will get official 8.1 update which includes Cortana, but no further updates.

I'm totally disappointed on HTC with their statement. So I'm asking you currently users of 8S for advice and where are you heading to? I assume you will stay with HTC...

Since I'm on Sprint, once my 2 year contract ends with my HTC 8XT AKA "Piece o' Sh**", I'll probably head in the iPhone department. But, I will try out the Samsung ATIV S Neo first before the iPhone...

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Since I'm on Sprint, once my 2 year contract ends with my HTC 8XT AKA "Piece o' Sh**", I'll probably head in the iPhone department. But, I will try out the Samsung ATIV S Neo first before the iPhone...

There is a possibility for you to get other updates. I mean HTC have stated only 8S not getting GDR1 update.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Isn't the 8XT and the 8S basically the same?

No no and NO! 8XT is more like 8X. It has 8mpx camera (8s has 5mpx), it's 4.3 inches display (8s is 4 inches), it has 8 GB of internal storage while 8S has 4 GB.

So you should get GDR1 update in coming weeks..

mjes201

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
No no and NO! 8XT is more like 8X. It has 8mpx camera (8s has 5mpx), it's 4.3 inches display (8s is 4 inches), it has 8 GB of internal storage while 8S has 4 GB.

So you should get GDR1 update in coming weeks..

I hope u are right!!!! I created a thread about updating people with HTC when the update comes to them. U are welcome to post there when u have new info for me! 👍

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Well my 8XT hasn't gotten GDR 1 Update and I haven't heard of any other 8XT's being updated. So if I find a person with an 8XT who did GDR 1 then there will be hope after all!

Neither did 8x get update yet. You will get it within next few weeks or days. The sooner the better..

PimpBot5001

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

That is of course if your carrier chooses to deploy 8.1 at all.

To be honest, the only thing I was looking forward to with Update 1 was Cortana. Because I'm in Canada, the Cortana-US-English workaround on the 8.1 Developer Preview doesn't work for me. HTC!!! (shaking fists in the air)

lungjo

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Y don't HTC 8s owner release a new update as OEM driver update for the HTC wp holders just like Nokia owner did a Cyan updates b4 they released wp 8.1 GDR 1. We believe that our feedback is not a waste. We still hope that we will get the updates in official update distribution after 19 August official meeting of HTC owners. Thanking you. God Bless.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Y don't HTC 8s owner release a new update as OEM driver update for the HTC wp holders just like Nokia owner did a Cyan updates b4 they released wp 8.1 GDR 1. We believe that our feedback is not a waste. We still hope that we will get the updates in official update distribution after 19 August official meeting of HTC owners. Thanking you. God Bless.

Well, it was hard to understand you but I did. Of course there is a hope, but as I said, I believe we will get only official 8.1 update and no further updates including GDR1. That's just my opinion.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If the 8xt is anything like the 8x, then it certainly isn't a piece of sh1t. The 8x is a great handset, I have a Lumia 925 these days, but had the 8x before it, and it was a very good handset with a unique aspect ratio meaning you had an extra row of tiles when compared with everything else on the market.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how this got to the 8XT when its about the 8S...but the 8XT is, IMO, a step above the 8X...8XT has 4G, 8GB Ram + an SD Card, plus BoomSound + HTC Camera app...so stick 128GB SD in there and carry on. Its a great phone.

The 8S however after finally breaking free of the 4GB storage issue with its SD Card support...has been permanently left behind at the station. Too bad...budget phone hobbled by 1 decision at HTC. (ie...not giving it 8GB RAM)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99