Rename Weather+ Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
According to the contest article, "iOS has filed a successful ?Content Infringement Claim? against the developer Bailey Stein. The app has been temporarily hidden due to this dispute" (incorrect, see link below).
Weather+ Beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

BTW,FYI, an app with the name "Weather+" by International Travel Weather Calculator already exists in the Windows Phone Store (see link below).
Weather+ | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I can understand Mr. Stein overlooking the name conflict on another operating system but his decision to publish an app with the same name on the same platform baffles me. One would think that part of the creative process in designing an app would be giving it a unique name that sets it apart from the myriad of weather apps available.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
WTF !!! "OneWeather" was chosen as the winning name by a majority of the users who participated in the poll. Why then did I just see this tweeted by the developer, Bailey Stein? He referred to the image below as the logo of his weather app "4castr". I reiterate, WTF !!!

BgbkywkCcAIE10p.png

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Just checked the Windows Phone Store and came up with two other weather apps that should file a ‘Content Infringement Claim’ against the developer. The apps are named, respectively, "4Cast" and "4Cast Daily" (see images below).

4castr.jpg

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I changed the name after speaking with the CFO on OneLouder Apps. I have agreed to rename the app to "4castr" instead of "OneWeather" to respect their rights.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
4castr is not the same as 4Cast. The "two" apps are made by the same developer, not sure why you are advising them to file a claim against me, as they do not have any trademark.

Why are you making such a fuss about this app? The amount of effort you put into letting me know you hate this app is ridiculous. Seriously, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
This is a forum (a place to express yourself: a medium in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions) not a mutual admiration society. It's not the app that I have taken issue with. Who the hell cares about one more weather app? It's your handling of the publishing of it. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Happy Valentine's Day. xoxo

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I understand that this is a forum, and that you are entitled to your own opinion, you don't need to explain that to me. Thanks anyways? You don't care about "one more weather app", yet you care about my handling of publishing it? LOL, why does this concern you then?

I'll be waiting for your weather app, and how you handle launching it. Oh and remember to check if someone else's app that hasn't been updated since 2011 uses the same name you come up with. I certainly wouldn't want you to have the same troubles. ;)

And if you do think that the most voted name may violate another company's rights, be sure to have a peacefully conversation with the CFO of the company. Even if he says they aren't comfortable with the new app name, publish it anyways. Wouldn't want to confuse anyone closely following the renaming procedure, right? That's much better than dealing with a legal dispute down the road.

Unfortunately, you probably won't ever do this and you'll never understand the difficulty of publishing and maintaining an app. Guess you'll just remain ignorant, what a shame.

RJKIII

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Bailey,

Sorry to read about your troubles getting a name that is undisputed.

Personally I'm a little frustrated... I read the reviews of your app and am really interested (I do care about 'just another weather app') but have managed to only go looking for it when it was not available/published. First in early January and now. I still haven't got it on my phone yet to try, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
4castr is not the same as 4Cast. The "two" apps are made by the same developer, not sure why you are advising them to file a claim against me, as they do not have any trademark.

Why are you making such a fuss about this app? The amount of effort you put into letting me know you hate this app is ridiculous. Seriously, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Hello sir, i just want to tell you that please ignore those bad guys out there, your app is fine. I tried it and i still have it. I like the names 4caster and oneWeather. But my dream name is "Whether the weather..." ;)
Anyways, u should not get angry over the guy coz in a way, he is publicizing your app. For eg., myself. I read his comments, and just became curious and downloaded your app. And i liked it so i am keeping it. Many of other people also did that. So kudos! Your app is good! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon