Smartphones are dead....really...???

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's two things.

1. a semantics issue. What really is the appropriate word to describe these glass slabs we all carry, "phone" seems a narrow, limited concept.

2. a paradigm shift. Actual phone calls are a small percentage of what the devices are used for these days and that percentage will continue to decrease.

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
It's two things.

1. a semantics issue. What really is the appropriate word to describe these glass slabs we all carry, "phone" seems a narrow, limited concept.

2. a paradigm shift. Actual phone calls are a small percentage of what the devices are used for these days and that percentage will continue to decrease.

Yaa agreed.....
I think it may be rise of surface phone.....what do think....

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
It's crazy to still call it smartphones. If a desktop PC got enabled to make phone calls, would we call it a phone?

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
At this point, why even try to comment on what to call it. Its been a "smartphone" for years...and now its dead? really? That's like now calling a car, a sneaker instead.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It's crazy to still call it smartphones. If a desktop PC got enabled to make phone calls, would we call it a phone?

No, I would call it a computer in which I can make phone calls on. Just like I would call my phone, a phone I can do other things on. Mindless article to fill space IMO

BTW, You CAN make phone calls on computer already. Its called skype, and various other apps. Could do this for years, but still I call my computer a computer.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
So where is that magic border between a phone and a tablet, and between a tablet and a computer then?
If you do most of your work on a "phone", does it make any sense to call it a phone?

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
So where is that magic border between a phone and a tablet, and between a tablet and a computer then?
If you do most of your work on a "phone", does it make any sense to call it a phone?

But iPhone, iPad and MacBook.....are still three different form factors out there....also windows phones , surface and PCs....

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Even if you wipe your bum with it, its still A PHONE. and not toilet paper.

Just because a phone as continuum and does other things that answers calls, does not make it something other than a phone. its just features on the phone.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Even if you wipe your bum with it, its still A PHONE. and not toilet paper.

Agreed. If you carry it around with you and make and receive phone calls on it, its still a smart phone. Because its a few inches bigger and you're able to run more programs (apps) on it doesn't change what it is.

Sent from mTalk

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand even having this conversation at this point in time...maybe when the first android and iPhone hit the scene...but now....10 years on....really!....I think its wp users trying to hang on to a glimmer of hope they can swing the whole dynamic of the smartphone world by saying we dont' have phones we have. mini mobile computers that we can make phone calls on. plus continuum. My 1020 is an awesome phone...I am still using it....its A PHONE, not a camera I can make calls on. I am running away from windows phone / 10 like the road runner away from wiley coyote because I see the writing on the wall. No apps, No support for previous promises, No support for wearables and other technology etc. IMO the windows smart phone is more PHONE than any of the other offerings to be had.

ZoneofJhay

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I have no problem on where the smartphone industry is going just don't call the next big thing a "mini-tablet".

IMO though, smartphone is far from dead. I mean the screensize is now settling to around 5.5-5.7 as the global standard for big screens and the increase of power doesn't mean its turning to something different, it is still just a smartphone.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
^^^^Yaa agreed^^^^
I mean is it really happening or happened???
Is it true or false...?
Or it just because windows phone doesn't getting big success right now....
crazy...isn't it...
What do you think guys....

NOT agreed. and Yes it's because windows phone is getting ZERO love, even from MS.

I have no idea whats being accomplished with this article.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
At this point, why even try to comment on what to call it. Its been a "smartphone" for years...and now its dead? really? That's like now calling a car, a sneaker instead.
It's more like calling a Hummer or a minivan a "car" - obviously it's a transportation device that can convey people on the roadways but "car" is not the most accurate way to describe it.

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
NOT agreed. and Yes it's because windows phone is getting ZERO love, even from MS.

I have no idea whats being accomplished with this article.

""I don't understand even having this conversation at this point in time""

I have agreed with this your statement.......i was pointing ^^^ towards you.....not that link article.....

But anyway its obvious that....Windows phones having less focus from Microsoft.....and developers also.....i didn't even get that concept of article.....when iPhone and android phones rocking the world........but that article is more focused on mini tablet concept.......surface phone....?? Isn't it or what else..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac