Would Microsoft ever make a Surface for gamers? - #AskDanWindows 46

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Should the Surface team get into gaming and what does that even mean?
Would Microsoft ever make a gaming-focused Surface device (and what would it look like)? Should we expect anything on "Project Andromeda" at Build this week, and what else could the Surface team be working on?
Let's dive into the latest rumors and expectations with this week's #AskDanWindows !

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Would Microsoft ever make a gaming-focused Surface device (and what would it look like)? Should we expect anything on "Project Andromeda" at Build this week, and what else could the Surface team be working on?
Let's dive into the latest rumors and expectations with this week's #AskDanWindows !

Personally I think not, but that is based on my own use case. I worry that a gaming focused would lose some of its sleek lines, one thing I enjoy about the device is it's unassuming nature. I also worry that it would have to be bulked up to really perform, thus losing some of it portability, another key plus.

Just my thoughts

azilgath

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. It would be expensive if they kept the same form factor. Probably can do this with an upgraded GPU in the surface book 2 (since a discrete gpu would be nessessary for any serious gaming consideration).

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Only if they can offer something the current market doesn’t. Since it has the Microsoft logo on it I’d already assume there’s a $500-1000 premium over what a competing device with equal specs and similar build quality would cost. At that price range you need to seriously differentiate yourself in some way so I’m not sure what they would do.

A normal Surface Book at least has a detachable screen but that makes zero sense for a gaming laptop so... Hard to say it would be worth anyone’s time. Would be interesting to see an “Xbox” branded laptop though

Gareth Pritchard1

May 17, 2018
Visit site
Surface team should make a gaming version. They are so close with the 15" Surface book 2 1060 GTX with 6gb, not ground breaking but the best specification 2 in 1 on the market.

Improvements and what would be great to see.
- Improved PSU, the current one supplied with the 15" isn't enough to actually recharge the laptop fully when gaming for long periods.
- make the HDD upgradable, two m2 SDD slots would be fantastic. Current 1TB hdd is limiting, most modern games are 50-70GB+.
- a thunderbolt added to the gaming series so eGPU can be used when a new improved graphics family is released.
- Improve the fan noise, these laptops will be used as gaming rigs !!.

If they could produce something of this calibre I think the surface line would blow the competition out of the water.

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site

I use a desktop so I don't care if MSFT does a gaming surface. It probably wouldn't be in my price range anyway.

Ronald#WP

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I expect more in way for Surface Pros to get WMR compability first. To be honest, if I could play Overwatch and WoW on a Surface Pro, I'd be happy to purchase one.

Vivio vrvly

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Tablet/laptop sized hw is used(Mostly) either for work or watching video/reading while phone sized ones are like that: social networks/audio-video streaming/gaming/taking stills and videos. While top gaming hw(processor,graphics,...) is welcome anywhere, there is something more important that can make one lead - gaming controls. How long we wait for full hands control, or pressure feedback device. High performance hw can out anyone, now it can be even external, be it offline or online. Not that its not important, but its secondary to more natural and mobile gaming, like using new hw like new visual feedback - VR or highly mobile(and affordable) smartphone.
Think about that, thats where money goes.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Not too interested in a surface gaming device. But would be interested in a surface device pc with a better tablet experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigial