Google buys Nest, but a Windows Phone app is still possible

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Nest_Windows_Phone.jpg

Right now, Nest is one of the coolest companies involved in home automation. Their rock star product, the Nest Learning Thermostat, has been winning awards and praise from users since it launched. We?ve had a few Windows Phone apps in the Store, but they?ve been pulled by Nest. We?d like an official Nest app for Windows Phone, but that probably won?t be happening anytime soon. Google just bought Nest for $3.2 billion dollars. All hope is lost right for anything on Windows Phone? Nope, sign up for the Nest Developer Program to get access to their web API.

Full story from the WPCentral blog...

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, this means I'll have to buy another thermostat, even if there's not an App for it. Google having access (even if Nest says they don't, that's not going to be forever) to my HVAC habits is not a comfortable feeling. It's like someone watching you use the bathroom and recording how long and how often you flush.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
It will probably also require a Google+ account in the near future or your house will go cold ;)

On a slightly more serious note, it's a shame how Google have gone in the last few years. I used to be a big Google user, with their Google Reader, Gmail and even an Android phone a few years back, but since then... I have lost all confidence in them. Scrapping Google Reader, changing the lovely interface of Gmail, forcing Google+ onto people, YouTube getting worse by the month, pinching peoples WiFi info and messing me around with their lack of apps on Windows Phone has killed off any interest with Google for me. I still use YouTube, as most videos are on there, but I'm now more than happy using Windows Phone as my phone OS and Outlook.com for my email. Google need to change their ways in my opinion. They've got a bit too big for their boots.

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It will probably also require a Google+ account in the near future or your house will go cold ;)

On a slightly more serious note, it's a shame how Google have gone in the last few years. ..... They've got a bit too big for their boots.

Ironically, that's what multiple levels of government in the US and Europe said about Microsoft a decade or so ago.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft are certainly not perfect and they were a monopoly in most areas and didn't always do the best thing, but as we speak now, I know which companies services I'd rather use out of the two of them. Thankfully though we have a choice in most things tech and are not even restricted to these two companies and I hope it stays that way. If we feel a company itself or a service they provide is not for us, we can switch to another. In your case you can switch to a new thermostat ;)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This is one example that MS should've took themselves. Branching out into other markets wouldn't hurt them. They, ahead of many, have the resources and brains to make anything technology related happen. Their lack of for sight is causing them to lose control on some things.

I personally don't like Google either. I used their services extensively at one time, but seeing how they are throughout time, made me switch in November of 2010.

To the topic at hand. I think this is pretty cool, in whatever ever way it will grow into, minus Google. I can see a "one OS" that is used for anything/everything. As long as it can be controlled though an OS, etc. it can have beneficial gains.

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
This is one example that MS should've took themselves. Branching out into other markets wouldn't hurt them. They, ahead of many, have the resources and brains to make anything technology related happen. Their lack of for sight is causing them to lose control on some things.

I personally don't like Google either. I used their services extensively at one time, but seeing how they are throughout time, made me switch in November of 2010.

To the topic at hand. I think this is pretty cool, in whatever ever way it will grow into, minus Google. I can see a "one OS" that is used for anything/everything. As long as it can be controlled though an OS, etc. it can have beneficial gains.

Before anyone gets too sentimental about Nest, remember this isn't the first time Google has ventured into the home energy segment.. let's not forget the unusual product that was PowerMeter. (Google PowerMeter - Save Energy. Save Money. Make a Difference.)

I'm curious which markets you wish Microsoft should have branched out in.... there are a *lot* of now discontinued products from Microsoft that are nearly in line with the Nest as a product. MSN Direct was/is a great example of that. Mediaroom and Courier, were others.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
They should've sealed the in car entertainment system, they were literally the biggest company with this. Ford sync isn't great right now. they had ample time to make it better. One thing that gets me excited was the video showcasing the "Ford Evos Concept", supposedly the tech used was MS.

In all respect MS has many hands in alot of areas, like medical and projects they killed off like you named, but they always half bake or half do it. They also don't push their r&d teams to vision their research to a consumer level. Alot of projects were way ahead of their time and ppl didn't connect.

I still think they're the best technology company, because of those very same half baked and half done ideas. no other company has made me as excited with their respected tech.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

You do realize that Microsoft isn't just Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox, Bing, Skydrive...... Do a bit of research. Microsoft has their hands in alot of cookie jars well beyond the public eye and in many cases, they are hugely responsible for alot of products\services that have nothing to do with the Microsoft you think they are.

I understand your meaning though, Google buys Nest makes it a public announcement all over media outlets so it seems to people that Google are doing more but its what Google is good at, advertise media hype to try to sneak away from their real purpose.

On another note, I've been wanting a Nest for awhile but that is definitely not going to happen now.

Stupid screen with advertisements, dam G+ login before it will change temps. Using said G+ account to send all my habits to Google as well as GPS coordinates to track my home better, no thank you.

100% Google Free since 2009!

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Either people didn't connect, or investors didn't connect. I always wonder how much influence their investors have into shaping products, and influencing their ultimate release.

The Evos tech was a experimental version of Sync. I just had a rental 2014 Taurus Limited with Sync, and I was happy to be rid of it. Totally agree with you there, it being a letdown and all. However, I won't blame Microsoft on that one, 100%.. Ford has their hands in that pie, and until recently, the tech in their cars hasn't been on the up. Makes you wonder how much Ford asks Microsoft's SYNC team to dumb down the tech, featureset, UI, etc. The UX guys at SYNC must be in constant battle with Fords people.

I think Microsoft is slowly moving towards catering to business and enterprise clientele, while making some of those products "consumer friendly"... like Windows Phone (ofc, saying Windows Phone in any way/shape/form is "enterprise ready" is like saying we have the technology to fold space). There is just an unfortunate disconnect between the hardware and software teams (who work in production, not just r&d).

As far as the Nest mounted to my wall right now, it's disconnected from WiFi. To be double sure it's not just "saying that", I changed the password on my network.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
They should've sealed the in car entertainment system, they were literally the biggest company with this. Ford sync isn't great right now. they had ample time to make it better. One thing that gets me excited was the video showcasing the "Ford Evos Concept", supposedly the tech used was MS.

I do agree with you 100% on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3