How to share files and printers without HomeGroup on Windows 10

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
windows-10-file-printer-share.jpg

If you're using HomeGroup, this is how you'll be sharing files and printers after upgrading to the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.
HomeGroup is a feature that has been around for many years, and it allows devices to easily share resources, such as files and printers, with other Windows computers on a small local network. However, starting with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803), Microsoft is retiring the feature.
As a result, you'll no longer find the option in File Explorer, Control Panel, or Troubleshoot settings. Moving forward, Microsoft wants you to use modern built-in tools like Share, Nearby sharing, OneDrive, and Windows 10's built-in file and print sharing features.
If you're among those users who used to rely on HomeGroup to share resources with other people on the network, you can continue to share content after upgrading to version 1803, but the steps will be different.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

tashagabby

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell PC and on a Microsoft surface Book. I want to share files between the two devices, but step 4.Right-click the file and select the Share option (blue icon), it doesn't show the screen described in the article. Here's what I see:

When I click the Share icon, it asks me for the email address and I do that. But the email doesn't arrive. I don't know why it wouldn't show up.

Any sugestions will be appreciated.
TashGabby.

Attachments

• Share files with OneDrive or Share files with File Explore.png
    Share files with OneDrive or Share files with File Explore.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 3

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell PC and on a Microsoft surface Book. I want to share files between the two devices, but step 4.Right-click the file and select the Share option (blue icon), it doesn't show the screen described in the article. Here's what I see:

When I click the Share icon, it asks me for the email address and I do that. But the email doesn't arrive. I don't know why it wouldn't show up.

Any sugestions will be appreciated.
TashGabby.
Just in case... Open the "Mail" program on your computer and make sure whatever email service you use has been added to that application. I use a Gmail account for my personal mail and had to add this to that Mail app that is installed with Windows.

tashagabby

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
I used the Share files with File Explorer option and it works! I copied the link and emailed it to the Surface Book. +However, when I try to use the link, it says "The filename, directory name, or volume label is incorrect."

TIA for you suggestions.
TashaGabby

Attachments

• shared file link invalid.PNG
    shared file link invalid.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 1

tashagabby

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Just in case... Open the "Mail" program on your computer and make sure whatever email service you use has been added to that application. I use a Gmail account for my personal mail and had to add this to that Mail app that is installed with Windows

I'm also using gmail. What is it that I would need to add to gmail?

Thanks. TashaGabby.

Last edited:

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm also using gmail. What is it that I would need to add to gmail?

Thanks. TashaGabby.

If you want to use the 'share' button to email something (like you showed in your first post), then Windows needs to use it's Mail app to do this. You can easily add your Gmail account to the Mail app so when you send mail, it will use that account.

1. Open Mail app
  2. Choose Settings (gear icon in lower left)
  3. Select "Add Account"
  4. Follow the prompts to add your email account (it supports many)

Once the Mail app knows what account to use, many functions such as "share by mail" will now know how to process that request.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes