Why does Windows Hello want to authenticate me even when the phone is not locked?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

For some reason Windows Hello wants to authenticate me every time I'm on the lock screen regardless of whether the phone is actually locked or not (I've set a 5 min timeout). Is this an oversight due to Hello being in beta or an actual feature? Until Hello becomes as fast as just swiping the lock screen this just feels a bit off.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking. Windows Hello will try to unlock the phone every time you're at the lock screen. If you're at the lock screen, you can't have full function of the phone without unlocking it. That is when you either need to use the keypad, or let Windows Hello unlock you.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
For some reason Windows Hello wants to authenticate me every time I'm on the lock screen regardless of whether the phone is actually locked or not (I've set a 5 min timeout). Is this an oversight due to Hello being in beta or an actual feature? Until Hello becomes as fast as just swiping the lock screen this just feels a bit off.

I haven't quite figured that out either. Kind of strange really, but maybe when it's out of beta, it'll be faster than swiping up? Who knows. I'm leaning, at least right now, that it's an oversight so they can get more feedback from people using it.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Windows Hello is incredibly quick for me. Have you gone into Lock Screen settings, and gone through the "Improve Recognition" process? As long as I'm not walking when I try to unlock my phone, it is quick and more efficient for me.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I understand what this person is saying. Basically the system should wait until the lockout portion for your PIN (i.e. 3 minutes, 5 minutes, etc.) before it resorts to unlocking with Windows Hello. It shouldn't try to do Windows Hello every single time you turn your screen on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon