Windows 10 a disapointment, hybrids and tablets are dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, WTF you talking about feature freeze? There is sooooo much time before feature freeze happens, this is a TECHNICAL preview, this is probably about alpha state, if that, I dont know where you pulling this "knowledge" from but its incredibly inaccurate, i gurantee you, by the time this is released it will look incredibly different!

Oh, and quit whining about **** you don't understand, makes you look like an *****.
You seem to know quite a bit about Windows internal development (why else would you spew crap on fellow posters on this forum if you didn't know firsthand what was coming up). Do you work in the Windows group at MSFT?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Do I close the thread, do I not close the thread... hmmmmm... alright, heads I do, tails I don't.... Huh, the Eagle. I guess we will let users vent on here a little longer.

I am a tad worried about the tone of this thread, as well as the desire to bury a OS that is 8 months or so from release. But, I see the need to have a thread for those who were disappointed with the preview. so, all I ask is that direct your disagreements to the OS (I don't like it from what I have seen because....) and not each other (please, no "How wrong can you possibly be?" "You are ignorant on the facts" "What are ya, STUPID??" Okay, that last one is courtesy of "A League of their own" and Tom Hanks, but it fit).

Let's debate our opinions and predictions on maybe the most important OS upgrade to Windows since XP. Not attack our fellow WP Central users.

By the way- I like the direction. Willing to admit it needs more then what was shown, but I like it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I assume that you will be able to hide the task bar like you can in windows 8, well every windows release since 95.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I think they should do something like it would be a special button in the start menu. When you click on it or you touch the screen on it, the start menu will expand to cover the whole screen and become the start screen. Also, on the start screen there should be that special button so that you can quickly reverse to the desktop mode when you touch it (the start screen contracts back to the start menu). I suppose it will give the user much more versatility. I do like the Conitnuum feature, just add my suggestion along with it with some necessary tweaks. Just my 2-cent about the topic.

mildmanneredjanitor

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It's not finished yet. Why is it on wpcentral people like to enter panic mode months before a product is released.....

The problem is that Microsoft released a video of it. Why?
Either it doesn't work when you get to the start menu abomination thing, our it simply hasn't been explained.
Windows 8 taught is that people are very passionate about this kind of thing, and that negative perception can spiral quickly. This needs to be addressed quickly.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
They had to in order to keep their primary market, enterprise. I'm skeptical cause I have a SP3. But after watching the video and checking out some opinions of those in tech world I'm coming on board. One thing is Certain. The public thinks windows 8 was garbage. Any positive press for this release is good news for Microsoft and all of us who want Microsoft to succeed. I think we'll be ok.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it looks good. I'm a little concerned with how well it will work myself. But I'm going to wait and try it before I make judgment. Either way ill learn to use it.

That's for sure cause I'm not going back to Apple. Think of it this way too. At least Microsoft is changing. They're listening to the negative feedback they got from windows 8. I'm excited to be with company that actually wants to change.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am super impressed with the design of windows 10 for future desktops and I will definitely be using this preview. I watched the entire video and Joe Belfiore said that the "continuum" UI is not final, so we can expect to see changes there. This windows insider program is awesome, and I love what they are doing.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
These car wreck posts are why I am beginning to really dislike coming to WPCentral Forums anymore. Never have I read so much doom and gloom almost everything Microsoft does about on every product they build in ever from what supposed to be members its ecosystem. Just sad and disappointing.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows 10 will be a really good OS for laptops and desktop PCs, but to achieve this MS sacrificed the hybrids and tablets. With Windows 8 they couldn't solve the duality of a convertible device and they privileged the touch interactions. With Windows 10 they couldn't solve it either but now they privileged mouse and keyboard interactions. It seems MS forgot that PCs are just 14% of the devices sold and falling.

The "Continuum" concept they showed for hybrids like the Surface Pro 3 is ridiculous. The apps run in full screen except for the taskbar that is always visible, so the user has to use those little tiny icons to switch between apps. A back button is added to the taskbar, good luck reaching that small button, and since when Store Apps need a back button? Hybrids are just an afterthought in Windows 10, on the contrary hybrids were the most important form factor for Windows 8.

And the most worrying thing is the small tablet that they showed in the picture of all the Windows devices. It's just Windows Phone scaled up, with the same three columns of tiles and the three buttons at the bottom. So, Microsoft just killed all the UI interactions that they introduced for tablets with Windows 8: app switching at the left, charms, closing apps swiping down, back button in the apps. It seems tablets will just run a scaled up WP OS.

From what they showed I think Microsoft is just trying to secure the desktop market for a few more years until more apps come to Chromebooks. The few details about Windows 10 for touch devices are disappointing. I had high expectations for Windows vnext, but what they showed is mediocre, they couldn't came up with a solution for the duality problem and they decided to secure their position in the PC market.

I guess Surface Pro 4 won't be called a tablet, that "Continuum" abomination is not a touch interface.

Why don't you wait a little bit before declaring Windows 10 to be "dead"? This is an VERY early build and MS is asking for feedback on things like this. If enough people say that the taskbar should be hidden in "tablet" mode on hybrid device they will do that.

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
In a few months they have to freeze the development and stabilize the code for release. There is no time for major changes, expect only small tweaks. The final version will be similar to this preview.

Usually that would be the case. With Windows 8, the first public release was the Windows Developer Preview, they dished out an SDK, and tried to get developers making apps. Then came the Windows Consumer Preview, that was when the UI was mostly finished. After that was the Windows Release Preview.

Microsoft is ready to listen to feedback this time, and it shows throughout all their actions so far. Windows 10 is built to update from build to build in one click. It also records telemetry data in near real-time, and we've seen it also ask you for your feedback when doing things in Windows.

They aren't dishing out an SDK to developers, this is more or less the refinement of where Windows 8 was going. They will first and foremost listen to Windows customers about what is wrong, and what they can do to fix it. Once they nail down the functionality and usability perspective of Windows 10, the consumer preview will come out with a Modern 2.0 look, not the developer preview like jmshub said. They showed us the roadmap and developers are last this time, not first.

Also personally, I don't see a major problem with Continuum, I see how it could be improved, and I see where you're coming from. I like the touch gestures Windows 8 uses on tablets, and the taskbar shouldn't be visible with full-screen apps. But these are small flaws that could easily be reported during feedback of Continuum.

Continuum could be very useful on tablets like the Surface Pro 3. But tablets like the Surface 2 I think the current start screen fits it the best. A scaled-up Windows Phone start screen might look like a crippled UI on the Surface 2, but a small Lumia tablet the size of the cancelled Surface Mini, I think it would be perfect for that. At the same time, it all has to mesh together, nothing can look too different, just laid out differently. I think it will all come down to what feedback from customers shows, if I'm unhappy with my Surface 2 and others are too, they'll adjust the layout and tweak it more in the next build.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
windows 8 releases *complains of lack of desktop stuff*
windows 10 releases *complains of lack of hybrids and tablets*
seriously people give credit where due,i think microsoft got windows 10 right and will give the exact marketshare push to windows phone
its like Return of the Jedi!! balance in the force will now be restored from the evil google (just kidding,dont take it seriously)
anyways jokes apart i look forward to windows 10

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes from the improvements they have done from wp 8 to 8.1, I wonder what would wp10 be like.
Microsoft has also done major improvements from Windows 8 to 8.1. Windows 10 is surely going to be a hit....

David_da_Silva

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I just want to shut this website down just because people are not understanding that this is a technical preview and a lot can change. USE USER VOICE and FEEDBACK. Belfiore explained that. My English is not that good for explaining how stupid everything on here are, because as I said, this is not just depending on MS. You have OEM, screen sizes, processors, whatever...
MS is just presenting something new. I just bet that some weeks ago you people were complaining about no new releases of the OS, no new flagships. STOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon