If Windows 10 is free for Windows 8 users, is there any reason not to upgrade?

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just from the preview, Windows 10 didn't blow me away. Most of what they featured had already been long rumored and even shown. As someone who uses Windows 8 with a start menu replacement almost exclusively on the desktop, there isn't much with Windows 10 I need. The main thing that might be useful for me is having tile apps on the desktop. Anyone who tried to use the calculator app, for instance, knows just how crazy it is that an app like this can't just sit in a small box in the corner, like the desktop calculator. Full screen apps don't work for many situations and it's good MS is fixing this finally. Plus as a command prompt user (git, ssh, bash scripts), they finally fixed many of the issues like not being able to Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. That will be useful for me--it is the one area OSX is much better than Windows.

Anyway, because Windows 10 is rumored to be free for Windows 8 users, is there a reason not to upgrade and get the latest code, even if it isn't a huge improvement?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
What you've seen in the preview is only 10% of what will be in the final BUILD (quote from MS). Expect many more features and much more of a reason to upgrade in the future. But to answer your question, I don't really see any reason NOT to.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The sole reason for me, as an IT professional, is to wait until Service Pack 1 is available. Upgrade will still occur and will be a clean install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234