Trouble dual bootin Windows 10 with 8.1

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sony Vaio Fit laptop. It is my main working (and only btw :p) laptop. So I thought I'd just dual boot Windows 10 with 8.1. So, I created a 40GB partition on my hard drive. I downloaded the x64 version of Windows 10 and burned it to a USB drive with Windows 7 DVD USB tool installer. I changed the BIOS settings such as boot from external drive 'enabled' and put that option on top of the list. Disabled the secure boot as well. And when I select boot from USB option, it says booting from external device failed, that is when the boot mode is selected as UEFI in BIOS settings. When I change it to Legacy mode, I'm able to get past the Install now screen and the choose upgrade or custom installation. But when I choose custom installation, and I'm allowed to choose a drive on which I want to install the preview and when I select the drive I have created, it says, Windows can't be installed because the selected disk is of GPT partition type, or something like this. What am I doing wrong? Please, someone help me out. Thanks.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Because legacy boot (BIOS) does not support GPT. Download Rufus and remake your Windows 10 thumb drive.

Edit: Also, if you do this, you won't have to disable secure boot.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

josh_zombie

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Because legacy boot (BIOS) does not support GPT. Download Rufus and remake your Windows 10 thumb drive.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Exactly! I was having the same problem(s) until I remade bootable USB with Rufus. Now dual booting 8.1 / Technical Preview on separate partitions.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. Finally it worked with FAT32. Now, my PC is installing the OS. Wow!! Excited!! Will let you guys know my experience after it's done. Thank you all once again. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs