Windows 10 Laggy and not able to run at full resolution.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just downloaded the 32 bit version of Windows 10 on a PC that perfectly runs Windows 7 ultimate SP1.

My monitor supports upto 1440x900 but Windows 10 is only able to go up to 1280x780. And it's kind of laggy when moving about windows/windowed apps. Opening the start screen is laggy too.

Is someone facing these problems? Is it Windows 10 itself?

I would like to point out that I don't have internet connected to that PC (ethernet port broken and no wifi card). So I am kind of assuming that its may be due to not activating windows and/or not having all the required drivers, that need to be updated if I have internet.

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.8 GHz and Q33/34/35 graphics chipset, 2 GB of RAM and installed Windows 10 in a 30 GB partition.. Runs Windows 7 perfectly.

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get it why people are constantly complaining about bugs and performance issues in Windows 10. It's called a Tech Preview for a reason. It's not official, it's not meant for daily usage. None of the features that you see now is finalized.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Your monitor can "only" support 1440 x 900? I suggest you get a new monitor then... What you mean is your *graphics card* only supports up to 1440 x 900

I suspect the problem is the driver for your graphics card. You'll need to update it.

Why did you install the preview on a machine without a working internet connection? You will not be able to install the updates to it as they are released.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any lag /performance /resolution issues on mine either. Wish I could be of more assistance, but as mentioned above I would check to see if the proper graphics driver is installed (or if there are any new ones available).

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I really don't get it why people are constantly complaining about bugs and performance issues in Windows 10. It's called a Tech Preview for a reason. It's not official, it's not meant for daily usage. None of the features that you see now is finalized.
Not complaining, trying to find a solution if there is any. I know its a tech preview and its incomplete. :)

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
"I'm running it in a VM and I can set it to any resolution I want. Did you actually install your display drivers?"
I am not sure, I am assuming it needs internet. Thanks! :)

"Your monitor can "only" support 1440 x 900? I suggest you get a new monitor then... What you mean is your *graphics card* only supports up to 1440 x 900

I suspect the problem is the driver for your graphics card. You'll need to update it.

Why did you install the preview on a machine without a working internet connection? You will not be able to install the updates to it as they are released."

My graphics card supports 1080p as well (tried the system with a 1080p monitor), but my monitor is limited to 900p, which Windows 10 can't achieve. So posted this topic just to be sure its a driver issue.

I will be getting a wifi card for it later today so I decided to install it on this one.

"I haven't had any lag /performance /resolution issues on mine either. Wish I could be of more assistance, but as mentioned above I would check to see if the proper graphics driver is installed (or if their are any new ones available)."

Seems like it, I will update if drivers was indeed the issue. Thanks!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Probably your drivers. I'm running at the same resolution that my Windows 8.1 runs. 1920 x 1080 with no problem on a rig with an AMD processor. Not even close to laggy either. Its quite beautiful actually.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
This was my experience as well. Crappy performance followed by smooth as butter after driver updates. I was surprised that a medium grade gaming laptop from 2010 wouldn't have full driver support in the .iso file when the driver downloaded immediately from windows update. Clearly microsoft has that driver or I would have been forced to download it manually.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup, was my drivers. Installed my drivers and now Windows 10 works like a charm. Considering to use it as my primary OS. lol
After a few days of using this TP, it may end up being my primary..pretty much what happened with the Windows 7 beta. I remember throwing every dang program, game utility I could find trying to bust that thing and it was like, "is that it?"
When I saw it could deal with the crap I don't ever intend to use anyway, I began to protect my desktop and treat it like I treat my computer. I'm feeling the same about TP. I like the direction.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Windows 10 64bit on a ssd having full access to everything, I7-3770k with 4x8gb=32gb of ram, video 770GTX into a LG Ultrawide 29 inch monitor 2560x1080 resolution, playing BF4 and Crysis 3 on it, not experiencing one bit of lag of any kind.

BretWin10

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I would like to point out that I don't have internet connected to that PC (ethernet port broken and no wifi card). So I am kind of assuming that its may be due to not activating windows and/or not having all the required drivers, that need to be updated if I have internet.

why not buy a cheap Wi-Fi USB dongle ?, then you will be able to download all the updates

Last edited:

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
So you allowed it to update your existing configuration?

No....i did a clean install on a bootcamp partition on my 2009 mac mini

But since I'm normally on windows....its usually my main os I use.....i play skyrim on it,runs way better on its own partition,than it would in parallels

GeekyNoob

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 comes with its default drivers. Go to Device Manager>Display Adapters>Update Drivers.
After update is complete, it should run smoothly. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes