Mic issues

mostockton

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Surface Pro 2 user, here. i5, 256.

Installed the tech preview today (build 9926), and while the install went swimmingly, and so far I'm very impressed, my Surface seems to have lost it's built in microphone. I can see the Realtek hardware still present in the control panel, however my baby insists that her mic is unplugged.

Anyone else seeing this, have a fix?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I can add to that and probably ease you by saying, its not your Surface. I have a Dell latitude laptop from 2012. I have exactly same issue. I cannot use my mic anymore. Not for Skype or Cortana, nothing. You can play with drivers uninstall and install to see if work but I say, wait till another build is rolled out and see if they've picked up on this issue. I have a feeling most of the driver related issues will linger around till we hit consumer preview in April.

A_Franklin

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Same exact issue here on an HP Touchsmart. On Windows 8.1, both the built-in mic and an external mic plugged into the line-in port work fine. On Win10 both show up without error but fail to capture any sound. I've tried the Recording Troubleshooter, Volume Levels, every Control Panel option, adjusting the Mic privacy settings, different sound-capture software, but still nothing in 10.

Too bad, since Cortana was one of the big draws of this release.

Fred Hare

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Have exactly the same problem using Win 10 on Lenovo ThinkPad x61s.
Built-in or external mic, testing with Skype Echo / Sound test service.
Had no problem when using Windows XP.

A_Franklin

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Update: I was able to load the sound card driver from my manufacturer (actually I grabbed it from catalog.update.windows.com) instead of the generic HD Audio Device that Windows provided. Now the mic works!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium