Nubbin in the new w10 keyboard

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Is there a video somewhere how it works? I find this a genius idea but I'm wondering about one possible issue:
Because the nubbin is placed on the left side of the keyboard I would think you have not much horizontal space towards the left to move the cursor to the left over the screen. I would love to see this in action and hear some experiences. It's accuracy and sensitivity.
Someone with the preview please make a video!:) thanks!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to make a video, but I don't understand why they didn't just make arrow keys. I tried this thing out, and while it works, it was cumbersome to move the cursor around with precision. Maybe it takes getting used to but... why not arrow keys?

quarlow

Mar 27, 2008
Visit site
What I find most confusing is that it does not appear all the time. I haven't figured out the pattern yet. Maybe MS built apps support it, 3rd party need to enable support?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but there are different keyboard screens you get when selecting the &123 and then "->" buttons where they could have put the arrow keys. Or made them float, like the arrows on the "nubbin" already do.
Maybe I'll get used to it though.

quarlow

Mar 27, 2008
Visit site
On the ones that show the nubbin, the comma is in the symbol section. I don't like having to push an extra key to get the comma. Are there keyboard settings somewhere that I missed?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
On the ones that show the nubbin, the comma is in the symbol section. I don't like having to push an extra key to get the comma. Are there keyboard settings somewhere that I missed?

In 8.1 there is an option to in Settings -> Keyboard that says "Show a comma key when available", but it seems to be gone in W10, at least it's not in the same place. I hope they bring it back.

Meanwhile, you can get to the comma quicker by holding down the period key and waiting for the popup and select the comma there.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there a video somewhere how it works? I find this a genius idea but I'm wondering about one possible issue:
Because the nubbin is placed on the left side of the keyboard I would think you have not much horizontal space towards the left to move the cursor to the left over the screen. I would love to see this in action and hear some experiences. It's accuracy and sensitivity.
Someone with the preview please make a video!:) thanks!

It works more like a 4-way arcade stick than a nub really. Not super sensitive, peak acceleration is about 4*char/s.
Invoking the nub is surprisingly reliable given the size and position. Useful for one handed operations and pesky html, but little else IMO.

EDIT: Orientation is not a big deal because it does not take much travel to reach peak acceleration.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what the rules are for it showing up either. Now when I'm typing this comment it's nowhere to be found, for example...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb