Unable to update to build 10041 - Error 8x80004005

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I have now attempted 4 times to install the Windows 10 build 10041 build through Windows update.

Every time I attempt to install the update I get the error 8x80004005. I have tried pressing 'Retry', clearing the cache, running the troubleshooter and reregistering the Windows Update services and BITS. I have also searched for the error code and I haven't found anything that has actually worked for me yet.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

Steve Gabelnick

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I've had a similar problem (error code 80004005) whenever trying to update a build via Windows Update. The upgrade would be at the point of rebooting when the error occurred. I also received the same error when trying to upgrade my Windows 8.1 system using the 10074 iso file recently released. What I noticed in the setuperr log file was that the problem occurred when the update was trying to export the BCD file and failed. I had noticed that I was also getting an error whenever I tried to use the export feature of bcdedit manually. I could change entries in the database with the bcdedit command or the bcdboot command but could not export it. I then used the windows repair option - bootrec - available on the bootable USB drive created from the 10074 iso file - and used it to repair the boot sector and rebuild the BCD database. I then successfully exported that database and saved it on my regular boot disk. When I rebooted to my Windows 8.1 system, I was still unable to export the BCD database - BUT after importing the file I had exported after using bootrec, all was fixed and I could export the BCD database. After that I retried updating the Windows 8.1 system to Windows Technical Preview and it worked just fine. So what I suggest you do first is to open up a command prompt (admin) and issue the command: bcdedit /export c:\testbcd and see if it fails. (I would always get a message about a bad file handle). If that happens to you, get that problem fixed (as I more or less explained) and then try your update again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros