Lumia 930 / W10 Insider and GDR2

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
So my wife is dabbling with W10 on her 1320, and I have been dabbling with it on my 625, but I also heard about the 930 sneaking in the GDR2 update through the Windows Insider.

I followed the steps noted in a number of places yet I still did not get it. There was the short update/install that rebooted but nothing changed and there are no more updates available.

Before my wife got W10 her 1320 received the GDR2 first.... Is there anybody else here who can't get it for their 930/Icon?

Has MS already locked it up so you can't get it?

I sure would like to get it while I wait for W10 for my 930.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
So my wife is dabbling with W10 on her 1320, and I have been dabbling with it on my 625, but I also heard about the 930 sneaking in the GDR2 update through the Windows Insider.

I followed the steps noted in a number of places yet I still did not get it. There was the short update/install that rebooted but nothing changed and there are no more updates available.

Before my wife got W10 her 1320 received the GDR2 first.... Is there anybody else here who can't get it for their 930/Icon?

Has MS already locked it up so you can't get it?

I sure would like to get it while I wait for W10 for my 930.

maybe this will help ;) . good day

Lumia 930 users can grab Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 with Windows Insider app | Windows Central

kavin238

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same. I think it might be because of the software version, since I have not a country version installed on my 930. More people with this problem (and maybe the solution :) ?

zandos

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same. I think it might be because of the software version, since I have not a country version installed on my 930. More people with this problem (and maybe the solution :) ?
I have the exact same problem..... Maybe we were cut off by Microsoft.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It (getting GDR2) is prep work to get your phone ready for Insider and TP of Win 10. If you were on P4D prior, then your OS version is advanced enough that you don't get GDR2.

No one is meant to "trick" the system into getting GDR2 and then stay there. Again, it is prep needed and then you are supposed to move to 10.

In terms of stability and functionality I'm not sure this cheat has been tested...

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Possible, but haven't heard any news about it being blocked from MS or here in Windows Central....

For the record, my 930 is unlocked, in Australia and the last update was Denim on my phone.

.... Well not including whatever was installed today through the Windows Insider program, but it certainly wasn't GDR2.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
It (getting GDR2) is prep work to get your phone ready for Insider and TP of Win 10. If you were on P4D prior, then your OS version is advanced enough that you don't get GDR2.

No one is meant to "trick" the system into getting GDR2 and then stay there. Again, it is prep needed and then you are supposed to move to 10.

In terms of stability and functionality I'm not sure this cheat has been tested...

Well while I was in Preview for Developers in the past, that was only up to Cyan. The only way I could upgrade to Denim was to turn off Preview for Developers as for whatever reason, it was cancelling out the update until PFD was disabled.

And I also turned my wife's phone off of PfD so she could get Denim on her 1320, so her phone was on the same version as I.... Yet she still updated to GDR2 and had it running for over an hour before she jumped on board with W10.

So if her version of Denim was the same as mine and she was still able to get GDR2 when it was never mentioned that it should be available for her phone (yet W10 is)..... And Windows Central & WMPowerUser both described in detail about the 930 getting GDR2 (including photos and screenshots of it working)..... Then why isn't it working?

Obviously my phone wasn't "advanced" enough to not get GDR2 as it was only on the version prior to GDR2. I do not have the new settings menu, or the Bluetooth keyboard stuff or the other features that comes with GDR2.

And I certainly don't have W10.

Going through the comments from the supplied link above and other comments on WMPUser, people have been able to get it on their 930's, their 1020's, their 925's, and other devices.

I am just trying to figure out where this conflict of information is coming from.

Nobody is "Tricking" the system.... You sign up to the Windows Insider program, you get the app, you run it, click on Fast Preview Update Thingamabob, reboot and download it.

I am not tricking the system into thinking I am using something other than the 930, I'm just going through the standard process of W10 as if it was available for my phone.

Based on all provided information, I should have GDR2 for my 930 but I don't.

Now obviously I am not demanding I have it for my phone, and I know I am not entitled to it. I am just trying to get some answers.

Was what WC and WMPU + other users doing just a freak accident?

Did Microsoft quickly fix the hole or something?

Was it intentional?

All I know at this stage is that WC and others have said "Hey you can get GDR2 and here is how you do it.... Here's some screenshots and photos to prove it!"

And at this stage, I'm just trying to figure out why everything I have done contradicts the above claims and contradicts what I did on my wife's phone.

Elyas K

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, Lumia 930 CV unable to get the GDR2 update. I went through the comments in that WC article about L930 users getting GDR2 and noticed this comment by Joerg Poetzsch:

"Lumia 930 users, who wonder why they can't get 8.1 update 2 through the Insider App: check "about" of your Insider App. If it says Branch WPB_CXE-R1, then you will not get the update. Only WPB_CXE-R2 will. This is what drwindows.de explained."

Someone posted the link there as well to the article (can't post links yet): drwindows (dot) de/content/6126-windows-10-preview-fuer-phones-bringt-windows.html

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, Lumia 930 CV unable to get the GDR2 update. I went through the comments in that WC article about L930 users getting GDR2 and noticed this comment by Joerg Poetzsch:

"Lumia 930 users, who wonder why they can't get 8.1 update 2 through the Insider App: check "about" of your Insider App. If it says Branch WPB_CXE-R1, then you will not get the update. Only WPB_CXE-R2 will. This is what drwindows.de explained."

Someone posted the link there as well to the article (can't post links yet): drwindows (dot) de/content/6126-windows-10-preview-fuer-phones-bringt-windows.html

Oh well snot buckets! I'm R1.

Don't suppose there's a way to switch to R2, huh?

Thanks for the info.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting...as I'm still exploring many threads regarding getting 8.1.2 GDR 2 through Windows Insider -->Fast track option on various Lumia devices..It seemed to be picked up in Lumia 920 CV with OS: 8.10.15116.125-> but not any US AT&T devices..with latest Developer Preview OS: 8.10.14219.341 build...Cyan firmware: 3051.5009.1425.2001...still exploring with no success...lol:(

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes indeed.....I'm R1 Too...darn it but thanks...This was puzzling me somewhat...Going to the article!
Ok...obviously the article is in German, and I don't have my laptop handy to translate via Chrome, but as OP elegantly wrote...'Wonder now, how to get this 'About-Branch' parameter changed from Branch WPB_CXE R1--->R2 ??'

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon