W8.1M instead of W10M?

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
So W10 coming in July. I tried the TP recognizing its a preview but didn't like the overall design changes and other look and feel stuff.

2 questions:
Can I just stay w 8.1 on my 1520, or will it not be supported?

If I get new 1520ish flagship when released, can I revert it back to 8.1 with recovery tool?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
You can choose to not install the update, by unchecking the automatic download in settings, so it's not like your phone will suddenly stop running. Apps that target 8.1 will run just fine.

But an OS update is more than just how it looks. There are security, performance, and imaging and features improvements that come with it. You'll be missing out on a lot of new stuff if you don't.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Darn, I really hope the revert is an option. Is it just me? Would there be a major downside from a MS' perspective?

There's not much reason for MS to encourage people to remain on the old OS. I guess like any other OS they've ever made, they'll support the old one for a while, but sooner or later they'll have to cut the cord and stop spending money on it. W10 is going to be huge compared to W8 on home office and games PCs because of the free upgrade and the benefits of DX12, and they clearly want to line up the mobile and PC OSs much more tightly and much more quickly this time. Once it's finished, I don't think it's really going to matter that a button is here instead of there, or that some other factor isn't quite to your liking.

We've only had this alpha (or, as some people say is more accurate, pre-alpha) for barely more than a week. Go back to WP8.1 and enjoy your phone until the autumn. It'll remove the headaches of being a WP10 tester, and it'll also remind you that WP8.1 had many problems of its own - how many crashes you put up with daily, how many things are badly scaled or overly fiddly. You put up with a lot of things that were iffy in WP8 too. When you next take a look at WP10 on the real release, hopefully you'll see a greatly improved OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss