10136 custom notification hack!

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Build 10136 made things a lot more stable but also removed (hopefully temporarily) custom notifications. I had a Fast Ring update this morning but it still didn't fix it (it brought back speech to text in twitter though).

Anyway, I found a hack for the missing custom notifications that this morning.

I use an app called Melodia to grab cool notification sounds, a lot from iOS and Android too which, admittedly, are a lot better than the stock Windows ones.

If you run up Melodia and pick a sound, you can apply it there and then to a notification. Lo and behold, if you do it on the Win 10 build, it takes you back into the old Win 8.1 notifications and actions screen, which must still be, lurking under the covers of Win 10.

It doesn't change anything in the Win 10 notifications screen but it applies the sound.

It may work for other apps too, so worth trying out.

Last edited:

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
YOU ARE THE REAL MVP!!!

But you don't need to select a sound first. Just slide up from the 3 dots at the bottom and tap notifications + actions and it will bring up the screen.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Every so often something old pops up in WP10. I got the old lock screen one time after the new one crashed. Wish the old people app could be hacked into.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
You can use this, Tonality | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) as well. Tonality is a similar app.

However, I think many people are still having issues with Text notifications working. They work at first, then just stop. It forced me to roll back. I have to have notifications for my text messages working consistently or its just a no go to stay with this build. I did a hard reset and fresh install with no back up, and it did not solve the problem.

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You can use this, Tonality | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) as well. Tonality is a similar app.

However, I think many people are still having issues with Text notifications working. They work at first, then just stop. It forced me to roll back. I have to have notifications for my text messages working consistently or its just a no go to stay with this build. I did a hard reset and fresh install with no back up, and it did not solve the problem.

Yes, text notifications are still an issue.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This problem with Text Message notifications is getting me, too. I suppose until I can have a chance to roll back, I'll have to check my phone every 5 minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans