HTC One M8 Can't restore to 8.1 from 10080

tpmeredith

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

After updating to build 10080, I cannot revert to 8.1. I've performed ~5+ hard resets, numerous soft resets. No windows computer (7, 8.1, or 10) will recognize my phone. It charges when plugged in, but is not recognized in device manager nor windows phone recovery or HTC sync manager.

If I put it into recovery mode it will see it in the device manager as Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) or sometimes (Port Reset Failed). I've tried different USB cables and made sure the HTC sync manager and HTC drivers are installed on the computer.

I've tried USB 3 and USB 2 ports as well to no avail. I have managed to find the HTC Verizon 8.1 original image/ruu file and can't restore it with the HTC tool because the phone won't recognize..

Any suggestions or am I just stuck with a half working phone? I'm worried that any future updates (such as the newer build) will require reverting to 8.1 which doesn't appear to be possible for me...

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
That's weird, sounds like you've already tried everything I'd suggest.

I wouldn't worry too much about reverting for future builds. The fact that this build required a downgrade to 8.1 was because of an upgrade bug that Microsoft chose not fix before releasing it. The next build that will fix the issue updating from 10080 should be right around the corner.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
A hard reset WILL NOT revert you back to 8.1 and isn't intended to. It restores the currently installed OS to it's original factory settings. You have to download and install the Windows Recovery Tool (you can search for it on this site). I used it to rollback from 10080 to 8.1 before I installed 10136. I did have to run it twice as it didn't work the first time but the second time It worked fine.

M L5

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact experience you described with the M8/10080 but finally rolled back to 8.1: Go to Microsoft Update and see if a M8 driver is listed. If so download and install it. Reboot your PC. Run the Windows Recovery Tool. Hopefully your M8 is being recognized. The 8.1 download conked out on me a few times but after switching from wireless and plugging in a LAN cable I finally rolled back. Good luck!

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
A hard reset WILL NOT revert you back to 8.1 and isn't intended to. It restores the currently installed OS to it's original factory settings. You have to download and install the Windows Recovery Tool (you can search for it on this site). I used it to rollback from 10080 to 8.1 before I installed 10136. I did have to run it twice as it didn't work the first time but the second time It worked fine.

Sounds like he did a bunch of hard resets in the hopes that he can get his PC to recognize his phone for the Windows Phone Recovery Tool. I don't think he intended a hard reset to get him back to 8.1...

tpmeredith

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm sorry if I didn't elaborate good enough (I reread my message above), I did the hard-resets in hopes that it would make it connect with my desktop. The recovery tool would not recognize it normally or in bootloader/recovery mode. It's actually my business partner's phone (I told him not to put beta software on his primary phone but who listen's to me?), I'll try windows update on my desktop and test machines tomorrow when he's in the office, but won't hold my breath for it to install.

tpmeredith

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Ncbartschi, that's encouraging to hear. We're running windows 10 on our work laptops to test in our environment... told him not to put W10 on his primary phone (not as simple as backing up a HD and going back...) but didn't listen to me, lol.

tpmeredith

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
That's weird, sounds like you've already tried everything I'd suggest.

I wouldn't worry too much about reverting for future builds. The fact that this build required a downgrade to 8.1 was because of an upgrade bug that Microsoft chose not fix before releasing it. The next build that will fix the issue updating from 10080 should be right around the corner.

Unfortunately more builds are out and he's still stuck on the 10080 update (it won't see any new builds or updates)

tpmeredith

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Also, when you plug it into any computer in bootloader mode, it instantly freezes the phone 95% of the time. I can leave it plugged in and it will get to bootloader mode and then freeze if its plugged in and can tell it's frozen because the "Press Vol up and down to shutdown" is not present at the bottom, if you boot to bootloader mode without it plugged in can tell its frozen because at the bottom if you hold the up and down and let it count down the countdown stops when its plugged in

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes